Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which version of SQL do I need? and other questions....

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Which version of SQL do I need? and other questions....

I am wondering if anyone can help me out.

I was recently hired by an organization and have inherited a couple of servers and the responsibility for maintaining everything on the servers including ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2006 Version 8.

Upon reviewing the servers I noticed that the server that contains the ACT! Databases, has both Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (ACT 7) and Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

Unfortunately my knowledge of ACT and SQL is pretty much none! Although I do know that the proper licensing is need when using SQL Server 2005, which I don't believe we have! 

So here are my questions:

• What version of SQL do I need in a network environment that has 11 licensed ACT users that share up to 4 different ACT databases that are all located on the same server?
  • I read somewhere that ACT can install a "lite" version of SQL that is FREE. Would that version be sufficient to continue to run the current setup that I have? How do I know if the "lite" version is installed?
  • I am assuming that the SQL 2000 (ACT 7) is from a previous version of ACT, but does that require licensing also?
  • How can I tell what SQL version I am currently using?
  • How can I move the databases to a different server that is better equipped?

Sorry for being such a newb with so many questions but I really appreciate any help you guys can provide me with!

Thanks for your help!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author joni
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Which version of SQL do I need? and other questions....

joni wrote:
  • What version of SQL do I need in a network environment that has 11 licensed ACT users that share up to 4 different ACT databases that are all located on the same server?
  • I read somewhere that ACT can install a "lite" version of SQL that is FREE. Would that version be sufficient to continue to run the current setup that I have? How do I know if the "lite" version is installed?
  • I am assuming that the SQL 2000 (ACT 7) is from a previous version of ACT, but does that require licensing also?

• ACT! comes with the SQL that you need. You don't need to purchase SQL seperately.
  • ACT! 2006 would use SQL MSDE
  • ACT! 2006 Premium (necessary for 10+ users) would use SQL MSDE on a workstation OS (XP) or SQL 2000 Standard on a server os (Windows 2003). You need the server os for 10+ users.
  • ACT! 2007 and later use SQL 2005 Express (ACT! by Sage or Premium EX) or SQL 2005 Standard (Premium ST)
  • To move the database, install ACT! on the new server. Then use ACT! to backup from the old one, copy the ZIP file to the new one and Restore | Restore_As

Because of the newer SQL and .Net version, you'll find it faster and more reliable if you can upgrade.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

The ACT! program supplies the version of MSSQL that it needs. For the ACT! 2006 that was MSSQL 2000. Later version of ACT! uses MSSQL 2005 but the required instance is supplied with the ACT! program. The ACT! program is licensed by the named user not by the machine installs.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Solution
Accepted by topic author joni
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

joni wrote:

• ACT! comes with the SQL that you need. You don't need to purchase SQL seperately.
  • ACT! 2006 would use SQL MSDE
  • ACT! 2006 Premium (necessary for 10+ users) would use SQL MSDE on a workstation OS (XP) or SQL 2000 Standard on a server os (Windows 2003). You need the server os for 10+ users.
  • ACT! 2007 and later use SQL 2005 Express (ACT! by Sage or Premium EX) or SQL 2005 Standard (Premium ST)
  • To move the database, install ACT! on the new server. Then use ACT! to backup from the old one, copy the ZIP file to the new one and Restore | Restore_As

Because of the newer SQL and .Net version, you'll find it faster and more reliable if you can upgrade.

Thanks Guys!

This is the information that I needed to know!

I have a similar question about SQL versions.  I use a laptop with SalesLogix that uses SQL 2008.  I would like to also install ACT 2010, but found problems with installation.  It appears on the installation log that a problem occurs finding the ASP.Net version registration.  I am not technical, so I'm really not sure what this means.  (I do have a copy of the log if it helps.)

My questions are:

• can you run both applications on one device
  • do they require different versions of SQL (2005, 2008)
  • how do you install ACT?

I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.