Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which PDA can I use with ACT for Palm-TREO 680 doesn't work

Which PDA can I use with ACT for Palm-TREO 680 doesn't work

Hello,

After months of frustration I am willing to purchase a new PDA if I can get either ACT for Palm or some program to allow me to sync information back and forth from my PDA to my computer.  I really need Act dialing capabilities (the ACT dialer doesn't work with the Treo 680).  I use AT&T which has  Sony I -Phones, Blackberry Curve, Pearl, etc., Samsung Blackjack, Palm Centro, Palm 750 just to name a few.  Can someone help me?  I can't seem to get any answers?  Will there be new options soon?  What PDA can I make all ACT for Palm features work on?

My system- Vista Ultimate, ACT 2008 Premium, currently Treo 680 (but will change if there is a better solution)

Any direction will be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Which PDA can I use with ACT for Palm-TREO 680 doesn't work

To use ACT! for Palm, the requirements are:

• Palm OS 3.5-5.4
  • Minimum 33 MHz or higher processor
  • Minimum 8 MB or higher memory
  • Minimum 500K free memory plus 1K for each contact
  • HotSync Manager 3.5 and 4.1.0

Or, you can get all the options of ACT! for Palm (and more) on a BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device by using Handheld Contact

Copper Elite Contributor

I use Companionlink Pro http://www.companionlink.com/ to synchronise ACT! 10 with a Treo 680. It works OK once you've configured it to select the data you want and omit the data you don't. Backup your database before trying it out. i discovered I'd lost 100 names off an e-newsletter group through not doing so.

Stephen Buckland
stephenbuckland@gmail.com

Thank you for your feedback.  I have been trying to contact Handheld Contact, in foact am signed up for one of their live demos.  I also downloaded Companion Link and am concerned with the awkwardness of inputting (C) or (M) and then Link: on my PDA to "link an activitiy to the right person in ACT.  If you don't do that it just links to the "My Record".

Is Handheld contact easier?  Is it more complete in what it gives you as far as ACT information.  It looks like it might be a little cumbersome when trying to dial a contact from the calendar view which I would do all the time.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

This is my main concern with Companion Link.  What do you think?

"I also downloaded Companion Link and am concerned with the awkwardness of inputting (C) or (M) and then Link: on my PDA to "link an activitiy to the right person in ACT.  If you don't do that it just links to the "My Record"."

Platinum Elite Contributor

dkilen wrote:

Thank you for your feedback.  I have been trying to contact Handheld Contact, in foact am signed up for one of their live demos.  I also downloaded Companion Link and am concerned with the awkwardness of inputting (C) or (M) and then Link: on my PDA to "link an activitiy to the right person in ACT.  If you don't do that it just links to the "My Record".

Is Handheld contact easier?  Is it more complete in what it gives you as far as ACT information.  It looks like it might be a little cumbersome when trying to dial a contact from the calendar view which I would do all the time.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Handheld Contact, like ACT! for Palm, is much more "ACT! like"... Activities, Notes, Histories link to contacts (even multiple contacts) correctly. It can also record history of emails and phone calls made from the device.

Dialing from the calendar or task list is basically clicking on the task, then menu and call.

Copper Contributor

I've got my wife setup on a new Treo 755p running ACT for Palm 3.0 syncing with ACT 2008 Premium.  I haven't seen any real issues other than a couple software bugs in ACT for Palm itself (a couple functions aren't working).  But the data is syncing.  I'm still doing a lot of testing with various sync products between ACT, Palm, Outlook and Google Apps.
Copper Elite Contributor

I got over the awkwardness. I use the format "T-lunch" for a To Do when inputting to Palm, rather than the bracketed (T) version. I wouldn't say it's ideal but, as with ACT itself, persistence has paid off. The only time it has let me down is when I have changed time zones and that could be an issue with ACT or Companionlink. Also I sometimes have to sync "PC to handheld only" as old events stay in the Palm calendar. At least with Companionlink it is compatible with other programs. I'm curious as to how Palm will adapt to compete with the iphone generation.
Stephen Buckland
stephenbuckland@gmail.com