Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where is Web info stored

Copper Contributor

Where is Web info stored

Using Act 2010 Premium

I have done some configuring on the Web info tab on one workstation.  In the preferences I have set the Internet Links as a shared directory.  I have gone to another workstation & set the Internet Links at the same directory but they cannot see the same configurations.  I checked the internetlinks.xml file in that location & it has a last modified date of 02/06/2008.  I opened the file & I can only see the default web info configuration.  I could not see my changes. Where is my modifications stored?  I did a search on the server & workstation that I did the changes on for other internetlinks.xml files & they are exactly the same.

Thanks

Tony

Copper Contributor

Re: Where is Web info stored

I am surprised that no one knows the answer to this.

Tony
Platinum Super Contributor

Customizations to the Web Info tab are kept in the 'USpreferences206.xml' file.  As reference here is an article describing how to retain the customizations when deleting Act! Preference files: Retain Web Info customization
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg

Thanks or that.  I have read the article & unless I am missing something the WebInfoSaver file is making a backup of the WebInfo preferences. I could use it to copy my configurations to a shared directory & then go to each workstation & copy these configurations to that workstation.  This seems to me as a pain especially if you have a lot of workstations.  Then if I make any further changes I have to go thru the whole excercise on each workstation again.

There must be an easier way of applying the changes to each workstation.  I thought that was what the Internet Links option in the preferences was for. What is that option for? What is the point of the InternetLinks.xml file?  Thanks

Tony

Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Tony, 

Internet Links/Act! Links are found under the View menu and are completely separate from the Web Info tab.  While the Web Info information is contained within the USpreferences206 file, the Internet Links/Act! Links commands are kept in the users' "app data\act\act for windows #\connectedbars*.ser" file (* exact file name depends on version).  This file also contains any other Toolbar/Menu customizations.  The InternetLinks file preference setting is a remnant from previous versions of Act! and a request has been made to update it.  

Greg Martin
Sage