Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where is Act database located?

Where is Act database located?

Act is installed on a multi-user virtual Microsoft Terminal Server inside VMware.  I am trying to determine the physical location of the Act database.  If I back up the database, it backs up to the user's folder on the domain controller.  If I examine the PAD file in the user's profile, it does not tell me where the database is located.

I was expecting an Act folder in c:\ with another folder called databases.

Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Where is Act database located?

The .PAD file will usually contain the location filepath of the database. If it is blank (just quotes), then it may be in the location C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\ACT\Act for Windows(version#)\Databases.

The default location for a new database is in My Documents\ACT\Act for Windows(version#)\Databases.

If you can't find the database in any of these locations, then do a search of your hard drives using the search string *.adf to locate any ACT! databases on that machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If everyone has their own profile on the terminal server, would the database not be in a single location where it is shared by the other Act users?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Open the PAD file in Notepad... it will have the Machine Name (Host), the patch to the database and the database name. It's pretty easy to read.

To backup the database, see: 

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html