Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When importing CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name

Silver Contributor

Re: When importing CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name

The easiest way round the problems you are having is to create a new single column in your spreadsheet with the first and last name in it as a contact field. It is called concatenation and just the name scares people to death but is in fact very simple.

I have included a link below to a very good explanation (not by me) with a simple step-by-step guide on how to do this. You then simply import the spreadsheet with the CONTACT field in to ACT and ACT it will split it in to first and last name system fields if you need them for mail-merge, look ups, etc.

I know this does not fix the problem but does get round it so you can get on and work with your new data. I would be please to know how you get on if you do try this way forward.

Link

http://www.mrexcel.com/tip074.shtml

JM
Nickel Contributor

I use concatenation a bunch and love it for a few reasons when dealing with cleaning up my source contacts address fields and contact name fields before importing into ACT.  It is better for eri to get ACT! installed with the most current version and resolve the problem that should not be there. Because there can be other ACT! issues to popup later and I hate to see what he's been doing with his contacts could be messed up or he has to find another work around that may not be needed. 

That being said, and thanks for your input.  It would help to get a second confirmation based on your 2011 version if you can import a text file and see in the wizard step the mapping of fields the FirstName and LastName fields?

Thanks,

JM

Silver Contributor

Tested on a clean installation of ACT 2011 (13.1.111.0) with the demo database.

Using custom import FirstName and LastName fields can be mapped. Used a text file - Tab delimited.

JM
Nickel Contributor

ch1p,

Thanks that second confirmation it helps.  2011 Version 13.1.111.0 (SP1) import wizard step selecting Custom you do see and can select for mapping a txt/csv file fields firstname and lastname to the ACT firstname last name fields.  I hope eri gts this and reinstalls to get current version and it works out.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Okay something is wrong on my test system I can no longer in Custom wizard step when selecting fields for mapping see First and Last Name.  If my source field label names match what is in ACT. Then what happens is the mapping is alredy defined.  But if I select the drop-down dialog to scroll down and see those two fields.  They are now gone?

I don't get it.

I have to keep trying different things if I cna get it to work again.

JM

Silver Contributor

JIM

Is this on a new clean database like the demo database or one converted form ACT 2010?

JM
Nickel Contributor

ch1p,

My custom DB that was updated while ago and worked last time when I ran test and even re-used the same exported txt Tab and CVS files.  I also tested the ACT demo DB but what was odd this time I opened it since last time worked fine it asked me to wait as it updated the DB?

When I get time I need to runs some tests/checks and reinstalls because it's like Windows XP update may have installed something that is the cause for no longer seeing the First and Last name fields when mapping txt to DB fields.

Odd...

JM