Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When importing CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name

eri

When importing CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name

When importing a CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name under "To this field" column during mapping. I thought it was weird since I've always done this same import on ACT's previous version and so I decided to check if these fields existed. When going to "Define Fields" they were not there and so I decided to create them. It said the fields already existed! Why can't I see them?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: When importing CSV file ACT doesn't show First Name and Last Name

If this is ACT 2011 and you have mapped to the Contact field the First and Last names may not appear.

If this is ACT 2010 In the very early release  there was a problem when converting older databases that caused this problem. Look at your ACT demo database to see if you can see the fields in it. If you can then it is a damaged database problem but you can easily get around the issue by Concatenating the First and Last name in Excel and importing to Contact field.

eri

It's ACT 2011. Do I have another way to do the mapping where First and Last Names appear or another solution?

eri

Just tried to create new fields for both first and last name during the import and noticed that ACT is not importing either my CSV or Excel files. I'm using Office 2010.
Bronze Elite Contributor

I m not sure if you mean new fields in Excel or ACT. As the fields already exist in ACT and are system fields you should not try to create new one. If you have added additional fields to your excel sheet and the same field names already exist ACT will refuse to look at any spreadsheet with duplicate headers. The easies solution is to concatenate in Excel, it sound difficult but is very easy and just import to the contact field, ACT will then split this out to first and last names.

JM
Nickel Contributor

In ACT2010 or 2011 you can export First Name and Last name system fields but you can not import or map to them you can only map to the ACT Contact field.

JM

eri

Interesting thing is that I ended up being able to import the csv file after all but only using the "default" import instead of "custom". I wanted the latter since I had column names that I had to match to specific fields in ACT.

When trying everything I could think of to make this import work I decided to change the column names on my csv and do the default import. It was a work around deal, but according to your post, JM, it seems it's the only thing one can do?

JM
Nickel Contributor

eri,

I was able to Import my Text Tab delimited file and a Excel saved as CSV file, using import Custom step.

I opened my ACT export of fields file with Excel 2007 and kept just a few fields and saved-as Text (Tab delimited). 

I also created and saved a CSV file.  The wizard step to select file type to import is Text Commas delimited.

Running tests on my Prem. 2011 system lets be sure we are apples to apples.

I downloaded (see Answer ID# 27290) and installed 2011 Service Pack 1 (SP1) which includes Hot Fix 2.

Note: There is a 2011 Hot Fix 2 that came out before SP1 it's only if you have version 13.0.401.0, if you try install on a 13.1.. it will tell you it was not meant for your version of ACT.

My version is 13.1.111.0 hence SP1 code is the .1 after 13.

I have duplicate checking enabled and comparing to my customer ID# field which is exact and unique unlike comparing to a name or company.  Which if the fields values are a little off it will do nothing or add a new record based on your wizard import settings.  So when compairing by name have the source and ACT record fields exact for dup checking.

I created a simple test txt file with these fields FirstName, LastName, MiddleName, CustIDNum, ACTContactName

I mapped all the fields in Wizard Step 6 except ACTContactName it's Blank (not mapped)

Step 8; Contact Records: Replace with Source and Contact records: Don't Add

I checked the box confirm each match, so I get during import the Bullet Merge Action to select the contact record it found.

Hope this helps you.

JM

eri

Hey JM -

My version is 13.0.401.0 with Hot Fix 2. Do you think this might affect the problem I'm having with the import?

You said in your last paragraph that you were able to map fields FirstName and LastName during a custom import. As I said before, if I use custom import, these two fields are not offered under the column "to this field" under Contact Map, step 5 of 8 of the wizard. I hope you can see the print screen I took from ACT below:

ACT Import Problem

JM
Nickel Contributor

eri,

Yes I can see screen shot Okay. 

What is odd is your mapping at Step 5 of eight yet I was at 6 of 8.

Just for grins Excel edit the test file changing row 1 field column names to what they are in ACT and for contact name use what I showed in previous post.

I think it than best to focus on upgrading it to the same version I have.  If that does not help, don't be suprised if I say uninstall, reboot PC and reinstall after you first back up your DB's.  This is not uncommon to have to do reinstall and that will help you eliminated the first Sage support requests they would have you do anyway's.

Good luck