Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When entering an activity type in the Calendar, the duration of the meeting time is fixed at 0 minutes duration and the End Time is wrong

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

When entering an activity type in the Calendar, the duration of the meeting time is fixed at 0 minutes duration and the End Time is wrong

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I hope somebody can help me.

We recently updated to ACT! Premium Version 18.

One change that we’ve noticed is when we’re in the Calendar and are arranging various activities, when we choose an Activity Type that will last, say, 3 hours, the duration of the chosen activity stays at 0 minutes. Also, the End Time does not then reflect the length of the meeting.

I’ve attached an image below showing a time selection in the Calendar for an activity lasting from 9.30am to 3.30pm, but the start time and duration do not match the selection of the 6-hour period.

The end result is that we have activities that look much shorter than they are in reality!

Bizarrely, for the ‘Meeting’ Activity Type (i.e. the default setting), it works fine - it’s the other activity types that do not reflect the duration of time chosen.

In the previous version of ACT, it all worked fine.

It is possible ti change it manually once the Schedule Activity dialog box appears, but my colleagues would like it to work so that when a period of time has been selected in the Calendar by dragging and clicking the mouse, the correct duration then appears automatically in the Schedule Activity dialog box.

Thanks.

Grant.

time-dragging2.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎10-06-2016 06:48 AM
Administrator

Re: When entering an activity type in the Calendar, the duration of the meeting time is fixed at 0 minutes duration and the End Time is wrong

Hi Grant,

You're right, this behaviour of the Schedule Activity window was changed in Act v17.
Changing the Activity type did not previously change the duration. It was a commonly requested feature that the default duration of the activity type, as defined in preferences, would be applied when changing activity types. When this change was implemented, it changed the workflow of this particular drag-select action, as this action is simply pre-selecting a duration for the activity, which is then overwritten when you change the activity type.

As for the maximum duration selections available, these cannot currently be customised. There is an idea logged to change this in our Share Your Ideas board. Please give this idea kudos to increase its likelihood of being implemented in a future version of Act.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: When entering an activity type in the Calendar, the duration of the meeting time is fixed at 0 minutes duration and the End Time is wrong

Hi Grant,

The reason that the Meeting activity type is the only activity type where this works, is because when you select a different activity from the Activity Type dropdown the whole Schedule Activity window will reset the fields displayed to the default values for that particular activity type. These defaults are defined in Tools > Preferences > Calendar & Activities > Activity Preferences.

So for example, if your custom activity type "Admin - General" has been set with the default duration preference of 1 hour, then when you drag-select from 3pm to 5pm in the work week calendar, as soon as you select the custom activity type in the Schedule Activity window, it would apply the default duration and the end time of the activity would be adjusted to reflect the changed duration, and so the activity would be scheduled from 3pm to 4pm.

Unfortunately it is not possible to change what activity type is selected by default when using this drag-select or double-click entry method on the calendar. It will always default to Meeting, and therefore only Meetings can be scheduled with a pre-filled time by using the drag-select method.

I would suggest changing your custom activity default duration to the most common duration to help optimise your workflow.

Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Yes, I just tried changing the default setting for ‘Admin - General’ to 2 hours, and, of course, when I now choose that in the Calendar, it reverts automatically to 2 hours.

Yet before we upgraded, this didn’t seem to happen at all. We could drag and select any period of time for any activity type that we wished. I can’t recall changing any default settings on any of my colleagues’ computers for this prior to our recent upgrade. So there seemed to be more flexibility built in to the previous version.

Yes, I can change the custom activity default duration to the most common one, although I noticed that, by default, 2 hours and 1 day are the only two maximum levels that are possible.

Grant.

Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎10-06-2016 06:48 AM
Administrator

Hi Grant,

You're right, this behaviour of the Schedule Activity window was changed in Act v17.
Changing the Activity type did not previously change the duration. It was a commonly requested feature that the default duration of the activity type, as defined in preferences, would be applied when changing activity types. When this change was implemented, it changed the workflow of this particular drag-select action, as this action is simply pre-selecting a duration for the activity, which is then overwritten when you change the activity type.

As for the maximum duration selections available, these cannot currently be customised. There is an idea logged to change this in our Share Your Ideas board. Please give this idea kudos to increase its likelihood of being implemented in a future version of Act.

Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Yes, I understand it all now.

My colleagues are (or rather were!) very used to dragging to select a time for any type of activity.

But the selection that they choose by dragging and selecting no longer automatically matches what appears in the End Time field in the Schedule Activity dialog box.

But as a workaround, they can just choose the correct period of time from the drop-down list of times in the End Time field, and stop their dragging habits.

Is not a big problem – it’s just a minor change in the upgraded version affecting people’s normal way and habits of working.

Am sure we’ll survive!

Thanks for help.

Grant.