Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When Importing a CSV/TAB file, nothing gets imported

When Importing a CSV/TAB file, nothing gets imported

I am trying to import a couple of files and i go through the process (including duplicate checking via phone), it looks like its importing and even finds duplicates, but after it's done, nothing has actually imported.   I can't find the contacts anywhere and i've tried it about 20 times both as CSV and TAB, got rid of the CONTACT column as i know that was causing some issues, and still nothing.

Ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: When Importing a CSV/TAB file, nothing gets imported

Did you try as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1520...

If that still fails:
What version/build of ACT! (from Help | About)?
Have you tried turning off duplicate checking?
If using the Contact to dupe check (as used by default), getting rid of it will make them all dupes and they'll over-write each other.

Also, try a refresh after the import (under View menu)

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, I have tried importing it that way (I have also imported many times before) but nothing seems to actually get imported.  

I have tried importing without any duplicate check and still the same problem.  The progress bar goes all the way through and no contacts get created.  I have tried it with duplicate check on for both phone number and contact and catches duplicates during the process, but still nothing every gets added.  

I am using ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3.

I've also tried to create a blank database and import and strangely enough nothing imports into that database as well.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Sound's like some thing's amiss with the CSV.... try bringing it into Excel and re-exporting to CSV.

If you have the chance, you might also look at updating to 12.1 - needs to be done on all systems if sharing the database.

Thanks.  I just tried it in a blank database and typically I select for contacts that match DO NOTHING, but if I change that to Merge Data, it works and imports everything.  Again, its a blank database.   

I don't know why that would make it work though.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Just to expand on what Mike said - because in 14 years of working with ACT! I STILL forget to check this - go to Tools>Preferences, and then on the General or Admin tab (depending on version) click the Duplicate Checking button.  *This* is where you need to specify what to check, or not check at all, for duplicates.  If you don't have a contact name in the import file, and ACT! is dupe checking on Contact - they're all dupes because the Contact Name is N/A

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

I haven't imported anything into ACT for a while but tried yesterday and I am getting exactly the same symptoms mentioned in this post. I've downloaded a list in Excel, saved it to CSV, ran the import wizard and followed through the steps as usual. I have also switched off duplicate checking to avoid this causing an issue, and checked the file for any "special" characters - it only contains letters, numbers and the occassional - or / which I have imported before.

I run the import but the progress bar never actually fills up. It just disappears and ACT refreshes my alarms, but no import and no errors.

Any further advice please?!

Thanks,

Paul

Copper Super Contributor

Did you try "Trim" in Excel.  Make sure no spaces before a name and such.  Make sure each field is in it's own column. Example:

city/State/Zip   each should be in a separate column.    One of our customers found out this was her issue.

Hope this is helpful,

Leslie

Leslie Munson
ACT! Certified Consultant
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting,LLC
Leslie@egenconsulting.com
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Thanks Leslie. After i posted earlier, I went onto our server, ran a check/repair on the database and then then tried running the import again from the server direct. Same settings and it worked fine!

No extra trimming was required, but thanks for the advice.