Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When I attempt to use the new "define fields" feature with ACT 16 for Web, it fails to access the "contact" fields

Nickel Contributor

When I attempt to use the new "define fields" feature with ACT 16 for Web, it fails to access the "contact" fields

[ Edited ]

I can access the the company fields, group fields, etc, but not the contact fields.

This is what I have learned so far:

- have reproduced the problem on multiple databases on two separate servers. Not all databases fail, but most tested so far.

- using Windows 2008 in each instance, one is 32-bit, the other 64.

- it is not a firewall issue, because I can reproduce the issue with the http://localhost/apfw address.

- error reads " Unable to communicate with the server. You may need to re-logon to Act! Premium for Web". I have re-logged in many times without a change in outcome.

- I though this might be a "spill-over" table issue, but I deleted tons of fields from the database, many of which were in the primary table. Made no difference.

- Have used Google Chrome and IE10. Both failed.

- ACT 16 has the latest Hotfixes, and both machines have all available Windows updates.

- I can access the define fields section for Groups, Companies, Opps, and Products, but just not Contacts

After I originally posted this message, I continued to troubleshoot this problem, and here is what I have been able to discover. If I enter the define fields feature from Groups, Companies, or Opps, and I change the table selection at the Top to "Contacts", it appears not to work because it doesn't display the list of Contact fields. However, when I clieck on "Create Field", it will walk me through the normal steps for doing so, and when I return to my previous field list, it won't be there. The reason is because i created a Contact field. When I went back to the database, and clicked on Lookup, Other Fields, I was able to find my new field.

So the issue seems to with displaying the field list more than accessing the table. Now this doesn't help with editing fields, but at least it's further than where I started.

I hope this helps inspire people smarter than me to come up with some ideas.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Re: When I attempt to use the new "define fields" feature with ACT 16 for Web, it fails to access the "contact" fields

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem. If you would like, we could have someone contact you to look further into the issue.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Our Knowledgebase has moved! http://kb.act.com
Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Nickel Contributor

Re: When I attempt to use the new "define fields" feature with ACT 16 for Web, it fails to access the "contact" fields

Yes please.

The office line is 1-800-857-0558 and my extension is 301. I'm sure you have peopel that know who I am anyway, so please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?  I'm experiencing the same problem...