Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What users are logged into act at any given time?

Avid Listener

What users are logged into act at any given time?

We have Act Premium Setup in a small office network.

Is there a way to find out what users are logged in at any given time?

Our server backs up every night and if someone  is still logged in it will skip backing up Act because the database is in use.
Anyone have any insight on this because its skipping backing up act which is a bad thing from time to time? 
-Paul

Silver Contributor

Re: What users are logged into act at any given time?

First sugestion, use the act scheduler to make backups and then let your software back up the backups. this way you don't run the risk of the file getting skipped.  (Tools, ACT scheduler)

Second, If you go to tools, define fields, the program will attempt to lock the databases and give you a warning with which users are currently logged in.  Furthermore, you can choose to lock the database at this point and kick them out.

The first option is much preferred because it doesn't require human interaction (which sometimes forgets to check for who is logged in just like other forget to log out)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Paul,
If using ACT! 2010 or 2011, you can also go to Dashboard and select the Administrative Dashboard to see user status

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Odds are, even if the users are out of ACT!, your backup still isn't backing up the critical .adf and .alf.  Even if you're all logged out of ACT!, SQL never releases those files.  There is a way around this - you can use ACTDIAG to change the 'Auto Close' setting so that SQL releases the database when the last user logs out, but that's not the default 'out-of-the-box' behavior.  And I can't find any KB article that discusses this setting - anyone?  But I always use ACT! Scheduler to perform a backup and I schedule it to occur well before your nightly backup.  That backup is a complete backup of your data, attachments, layouts, everything.  If you ever needed to, you could install the same version of ACT! on another computer, restore that one backup file and you would be back in business - that's too easy.  As Jon said, let your backup software make a backup of the ACT! Scheduler backup.

Signature
Avid Listener

Thanks for the feedback.
This doesnt happen all the time, only once or twice a week though.

-Paul

Avid Listener

Ok thanks all img oign to try the backup scheduler,  The one thing I dont get is A) The machine I set the scheduler up on does it have to be on? and B) does act need to be open?  or once you set it no machines need to be on except the server?

-Paul

[ Edited ]

You would set up the scheduler on the machine the database is hosted on (server) and direct the backup to be saved to a local path on that machine. And yes, only the server needs to be on but ACT! does not have to open as the scheduler runs as a seprate service. You should see the scheduler icon in the system tray of the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

My administrative Dashboard is blank.  I can't copy it.  If I try to edit it, the headings are translated into French.

I'm running Act 2011, SP1, HF2.

Joe

Joe,
Yes, that is a reported issue with the new data chart properties. This issue should be fixed in the next hot fix, due out later this month.

Greig Hollister