Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's the fastest way to merge or remove hundreds of duplicate contacts?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

What's the fastest way to merge or remove hundreds of duplicate contacts?

I normally have ACT! v.20 set so that when I sync it with Google Contacts, it sends new data to Google but NOT from Google Contacts to ACT! I accidentally synced them both ways last week and I now have over 1000 duplicate contacts in my ACT! database. 

I can pick them out 1 by 1 with ACT's built in duplicate contacts finder, but that will take forever to do. So I researched for a couple of apps that can merge the duplicates for me. The one that seemed to do the trick, DupChecker costs $250. Egan Consulting offers software that costs $150.

Is there any reliable apps that are less expensive than DupChecker or can you recommend an ACT! consultant that can execute this task for me?

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: What's the fastest way to merge or remove hundreds of duplicate contacts?

You might be able to find the contacts created by the synch by doing a lookup in the field "Create date". The duplicates should have a value there, corresponding with the "wrong" synch date/time. You can probably delete the duplicates, as they won't contain any relevant data (problem is only a week old).

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  Finding the duplicates is easy with ACT!  The challenge is merging or deleting large quantities of them, as described in my post.

Highlighted
Administrator

You're right that merging is a slow process, but deleting should be simple, once you have a lookup of the duplicates you can just multi-select them and delete. Obviously, I strongly recommend backing up before doing this - just in case.