Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is the recommended way to do a full server backup for an Act server?

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I want to start doing a full server backup on our Act server in addition to the nightly backups that Act Scheduler is creating.

We use Windows Server 2016, and the Act Scheduler runs nightly backups of the database.  I want to also set up full server backups (bare metal recovery) in addition to what the Act scheduler is doing.  

I understand that Act can interfere with other backup solutions like Veeam Endpoint backup and Acronis, but what about Windows Server Backup?  

There is a long and contentious thread on the forum about Veeam Endpoint backup and Act not getting along, and requiring a custom SQL server setup, etc.  I would rather not have to do anything custom if possible.

Windows Server Backup gives you the option below between a "copy" backup and a "full" backup.  The copy backup is supposed to interfere less with 3rd party backup tools, perhaps like Act Scheduler.

What is the recommended way?  Thanks!

VSS full backup vs copy backup.PNG

- Version of Act! you are using:

On Windows 10 workstations:  Act Premium 21.1.187.0 , Update 4

On Windows 2016 Server:  Act Premium Web 21.1.187.0 , Update 4

- If the issue involves Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word , Excel), state the version of Office you are using

Office 2016

- Is your database on your local machine (private database) or is it being shared from a server (shared database)?

Shared from a server.

- Operating system you have Act! installed on (i.e., Windows 7, Windows 8)

Windows 10 on the workstations.  Windows Server 2016 on the Act server.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bfoster
2 weeks ago
Copper Contributor

Re: What is the recommended way to do a full server backup for an Act server?

This will stop SQL: net stop MSSQL$ACT7

Run your backup

Start SQL: net start MSSQL$ACT7

Another option: Use sqlbackupandftp to backup your database

Another option: Create a backup using c:\progra~2\act\Act for Windows\Act.Scheduler.UI.exe

We use #2 & 3, I am not a huge fan of stopping SQL, it's better than pulling the cord, options 2&3 work well. When things go south, you will most likely re-build your server, using latest supported OS, install Act, then restore from #3. Everything else is valuable insurance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

There are 2 ways to capture all the information, one is to run a script stopping SQL during the backup, the other is compatible backup software that accesses the SQL via the SA password.

Just running a backup will not normally capture the active SQL files. Hope this helps a little.

Astute Commentator

Thanks, ch1p.

That makes sense.  Would anyone in the community be able to share the script they are using to stop SQL during a backup?  How common is it for people to even do a full "bare metal recovery" backup with an Act server?  Perhaps people are running VMs?  My Act server is a physical Windows Server 2016 Dell Poweredge server.

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bfoster
2 weeks ago
Copper Contributor

This will stop SQL: net stop MSSQL$ACT7

Run your backup

Start SQL: net start MSSQL$ACT7

Another option: Use sqlbackupandftp to backup your database

Another option: Create a backup using c:\progra~2\act\Act for Windows\Act.Scheduler.UI.exe

We use #2 & 3, I am not a huge fan of stopping SQL, it's better than pulling the cord, options 2&3 work well. When things go south, you will most likely re-build your server, using latest supported OS, install Act, then restore from #3. Everything else is valuable insurance.

Astute Commentator

Thanks Katy, extremely helpful!