Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is the actual purpose to back up personal files??

What is the actual purpose to back up personal files??

Any one can share what is the actual purpose of personal files option at File > Back up > Personal Files??

Example: I have two databases and users in different computer (standalone) with same database name and user name then I backup personal files from first computer and restore to second computer but I can't see anything change in second computer after personal files have been restored in second computer.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: What is the actual purpose to back up personal files??

I understood that the personal files was the template and layout styles etc etc so if you make changes to the various layout styles then you need to back up... could be wrong that was just my understanding

Thanks

Jason

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
JM
Nickel Contributor

Jlau,

Goto Sage KB locate Answer ID#19251 here is long URL link to it.

Answer ID 19251

JM

Hi JM,

Thank you for providing me the Answer ID 19251. At least now I know when I do personal files backup mean I will backup following folders into ACT! Personal Files.zip :

Document
C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\ACT\Act for Windows(version#)\Documents

Question : what files will go into this document folder?? I tried add document in Contact > Documents tab but I found that all files and attachments will be put into  C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\ACT\Act for Windows(version#)\Databases\(your database name)\Attachments.

So the Document folder is always empty.

Internet Links

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\NetLinks

Dictionaries

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\Spell

Question : what about "Menus & Toolbars"??

Any comments/suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

jLau

JM
Nickel Contributor

jlau,

All files attached to an ACT DB Contact / Company / Group Oppt. record in  Tab | Documents is stored in the working DB sub folder called Attachments.  This means you also need to perform the ACT DB backup.  After backup look in ZIP file to see all folders / files being backed up.  NOTE I changed my location where to put the ACT DB backup because if I left it in the default DB sub folder backup my Backup would be twice as big.  I also copy the backup DB ZIP file to DVD and Offsite.  If you attach a file to a History record that file will not be in the Documents folder its inside the DB file.

Answer ID 14770 covers alot about preferences for each version of ACT and is part of the Personal backup.  Perform a back up than open the ZIP file and drill down the tree to see what folders get backed up.  The ConnectedBars files can be restored if there is corrupt file(s) and you don't have to rebuild your Preserved Custom Menus/Toolbars.

JM