Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is the Wisdom?

What is the Wisdom?

Hello All,
I have used ACT! for about 8 years.  Our company recently decided to upgrad to 10.  The fetures and benifts page for upgrade touched on separate marketing and sales databases.  In prior versions runnign multiple databases was discouraged.  What is the wisdom this?  Does anyone have experiences to share + and -.
Thanks.

Vad
Copper Contributor

Re: What is the Wisdom?

Susan, Which version of ACT! do you use right now? ACT! 6.0, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007?
Regards,
Vad
Copper Super Contributor

Susan,
In most cases maintaining multiple databases of similar data defeats the purpose of having a database in the first place. Having all of your data in a single container has many beneifits among them: simplicty, ease of maintenance, cross referencing types of records, and system wide reporting.

The idea of taging records eliminates the need for seperating types of contacts in multiple databases. This can be most simply visualized if you explore the ID Status field in ACT! You can create any number of tags, with fields, which allow you to lookup or focus on one particular set of data (subject) at a time.

Hope that helps
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

We are currently using 2006 version 8.  Within 1 -2 weeks we will move into Prem for WG 2008.  I understand the wisdom of working  with 1 database however 2008 talks about using separate DB for sales and marketing.  I would like to know why is that something worth considering.  How does it better serves us or others to use in that way?

Platinum Elite Contributor

SusanK wrote:
We are currently using 2006 version 8.  Within 1 -2 weeks we will move into Prem for WG 2008.  I understand the wisdom of working  with 1 database however 2008 talks about using separate DB for sales and marketing.  I would like to know why is that something worth considering.  How does it better serves us or others to use in that way?

Where does it talk about that?

I can't think any any valid reason for multiple databases... unless you have a prospecting database that contacts are transfered to the main database when you work with them - and even then only if the prospect database will be largely unused and very large