Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is deleted when a user is deleted? - need history data

What is deleted when a user is deleted? - need history data

We would like to delete users that no longer work for us so they do not display in the Select Users dialog, but we cannot lose the history from these users.  If I delete a user, what information is deleted?  We need to keep any history data of meetings with clients, notes, etc.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What is deleted when a user is deleted? - need history data

Everything where that user is listed as the record manager including contact records, notes, history and opportunities.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What do we need to do so that we dont lose that history data when we delete a user?  We need to know information of when former employees met with clients, what work they did, etc.  We don't want to move these to someone else, as that person isn't the one who did the tasks.  Is there another way to determine what users display as users without deleting them?  Thanks very much.

The only option for you is to make the user inactive but don't delete the user.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

OK. Thanks very much.

If we delete the use and move the records to another user, does it move all records?  Does it delete any information?  Thanks. 

Deleting the user and reassigning, should just change the Record Manager for all their records. Marking as inactive is nicer as you have the record of the items they did showing as them

Thanks for your assistance.  I prefer to keep the user and make them inactive, as well, but the executives don't want the inactive users to display in the Select Users list, as it makes it more cumbersome. 
Copper Contributor

Hi,  This was a bit of a shock to me, running a multi-user system where staff do change over time.  Can I check my understanding:

If user Joe has written up a history record associated with a contact Fred and/or attached an email to that contact record, is it correct that deleting user Joe from the system will remove those history records attached to contact Fred? Meaning that this part of Fred's history (including the email content) will be lost for ever?

Scary if true.  Many thanks for any feedback.

Andy

That is true. That's why you should deactivate old users rather than delete them. The alternative when deleting is to reassign but that will change all the places where they are record manager to the person chosen for reassignment.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129