Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What are the best browsers for APFW on multiple devices.

What are the best browsers for APFW on multiple devices.

Our company is trying to get the most out of the APFW browser and APFW Mobile Layouts, which seem to have multiple issues on both platforms.  I'm assuming the Mobile layout is still planned to be supported in v17?

I'm trying to put together a list of 'best browsers' to use for each program as we move to a BYOD environment.  Any better suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated, as the errors and bugs in the multiple versions are driving us crazy.

APFW Layouts (both mobile and web very important to our organization):

Android OS

Mobile Layout - Dolphin Browser

APFW Web Layout - ?  (likely too small to bother on phones)

iOS 8 & iOS 9

Mobile Layout - Safari (some issues scrolling down when setting Preferences and updating fields, but sporadic)

APFW Web Layout - ?  (likely too small to bother on phones)

Windows 7 & 8.1 Pro

Mobile Layout (/APFW/M) - ?   Interet Explorer?

Compatibility mode must be OFF

This is pretty important now that we're delving into crossover devices like the Dell Venue Tablets that run Windows 8.1 Pro.  I'm assuming these issues are the same on a Microsoft Surface. We would like to be able to switch to and utilize the Mobile Layout for brief Company record updates, attaching photos, etc. 

However the Preferences cannot be edited (the popup windows that appears on mobile devices does not display on the Mobile layout on Windows platforms.  And you must switch between Compatiblity mode OFF for this layout and ON for the standard APFW layout.

Windows 7 & 8.1 Pro

APFW Web Layout (/APFW) - Internet Explorer only

Compatibility mode must be ON

Chrome and Firefox do not have the Write or Mail Merge options, so we cannot generate Quotes from Contacts, Opportunities, etc.  This makes Internet Explorer the only option??

Additional Mobile Layout issues FYI:  Layout Crash back to login page causes and solutions

If a number is entered into the Phone Number field, the mobile layout crashes back to the login page when editing the record.  Only solution is to remove the phone number in the Desktop or Web application.

Also, custom Company fields of non-text format that carry over to a 'custom' Cust_CompanyTable1 cannot be edited in the Mobile layout without crashing.  Only solution is to delete other core tbl_Company fields and recreate the fields/migrate the data.  For us, we deleted the QSalesData Company tables which freed up the necessary space. 

As I said, any help in finding the best browsers is appreciated.  We have great things planned for the mobile layout for our workforce, but as quickly as we create them they are slowly starting to not work with iOS and Windows updates.

Thanks,

Luke

ACT Premium 17.2.217 with all updates and hotfixes applied

SQL Server 2012 R2 hosting APFW

Re: What are the best browsers for APFW on multiple devices.

Does anyone even use the Mobile layout for APFW...?

Does anyone know what type of coding runs the Mobile APFW customization buttons under:
Preferences -> Customize Company View -> Gear Symbol?

Could the issue be with the desktop version of Javascript?
Our IIS / Server 2012 webpage?
Is there an online demo database I could use as a comparison for troubleshooting?

On a Desktop PC viewing the APFW/M mobile layout:
It appears our mobile layout is bugged as the popup window does not display, but i can still drag my mouse down and select all the fields in the database under both Details and More Details.

Again, this is only an impact on tablet PCs running windows such as our Dell Venue Pro 11. The customization popups work fine on mobile devices, but it would be nice to have dual functionality of PC and Mobile layouts on a single device.
Administrator

Hi Luke,

There is an online demo database here you can use here:
http://212.113.209.179/apfw
http://212.113.209.179/apfw/m

Username: Chris Huffman
No password

Awesome, thank you Gary! I was able to use that to confirm the Preferences issue.

I tried to use the Customize Company layout option and the popup window to select database fields did not work on it either, so I know it's a mobile layout glitch, not just my server/IIS (which is a relief)!

Hopefully I and my Cert. Consultant can get a solution figured out with the programmers or some third-party solution.

Thanks again!
Luke