Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Web access - which direction

Web access - which direction

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing Act 2008 for my business. However, I still have many questions which remain unanswered after going through Act's literature.

Here are some important details:  

My sales team is currently made up of 4 people but may grow eventually;

they need to access Act locally and remotely,

2 people have Windows Vista installed on their laptop;

2 people have Windows XP installed on their laptop. 

Which software do I need?

How many copies?

Do I need to upgrade current operating systems?

Would you recommend I install a copy of Act on an independent machine locally?

Is it difficult to configure the web access if I'm behind a router, a switch and a firewall? 

Should I expect monthly fees from Sage to operate the Web access? 

Is Act a permanent solution or should I expect to spend more money in 2 or 3 years to upgrade, patch or replace the current version? 

Finally, for those of you who currently use Act Premium with Web Access...are you satisfied with this product?  

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Re: Web access - which direction

[ Edited ]

Zampara,

Which software do I need?

ACT! Premium for Workgroups or ACT! Premium for Web.  Workgroups requires ACT! to be installed on all workstations and creation of remote databases.  Web only needs to be install on the server and as long as the workstations have internet access, they can see the database via a website.

How many copies?

Four.  One additional license per new user.

Do I need to upgrade current operating systems?

No - www.act.com/2008/system

Would you recommend I install a copy of Act on an independent machine locally?

That depends on the version purchased in question 1.

Is it difficult to configure the web access if I'm behind a router, a switch and a firewall? 

No, theres documentation that explains the process.

Should I expect monthly fees from Sage to operate the Web access? 

No, Sage doesn't host your database.  You will.

Is Act a permanent solution or should I expect to spend more money in 2 or 3 years to upgrade, patch or replace the current version? 

Depends on your company growth/requirements/demands.  I've personally worked with companies with 500+ end users.

Finally, for those of you who currently use Act Premium with Web Access...are you satisfied with this product? 

I'll leave this question for actual customers  :smileywink:

Message Edited by dlunceford on 08-05-2008 02:17 PM

Thank you for your response dlunceford, I need people to access and update the database with their laptops from anywhere in the world. Which software would you recommend? 

Also, I spoke with someone from your sales departement. They suggest I purchase four copies of Act Premium and install a copy on the server, and four copies on my salesteam' laptop. This way, four users would be able to access the database. Does this make any sense to you?

zampara,

I suggest going with ACT! Premium for Workgroups.  This will allow the remote users to have a hard copy of the database on their laptops and sync to the server to send/receive new information.

Yes, the sale rep is correct.  You'll need to install on the server and the four remotes.

Thank you very much !

Your help was very useful.

Zampara