Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Web access through localhost ONLY. No response through device IP.

JB3

Web access through localhost ONLY. No response through device IP.

Premium Web V. 16 on Win 8.1.

Have gone through setup for web access using Web Site Administration and can access the database through IE 11 by going to localhost/apfw on the server.

When I input the IP address ONLY of the server (IP address from ipconfig: 192.168.1.200) into IE (again, on the server), the IIS page is displayed.  If I click it, I am taken to www.iis.net.

When I go to another computer on the LAN and input 192.168.1.200/apfw, I get an error message :

[Fiddler] The socket connection to 192.168.1.200 failed.
ErrorCode: 10060.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.200:80

The Swiftpage Business Silver Support technician said the problem had to do with IIS and they did not support that in any way.  I asked for suggestions as to where or what to look for and who to ask and he had no suggestions.  I don't know where to turn.

I have worked with my ISP (Verizon) and it appears the modem/router is configured with port forwarding to port 80, but I can't access it that way either.  If I can't access it on the LAN behind the firewall, I don't expect it to work from the internet.

What version of IIS should I be using?

Would it help to reinstall IIS?

Are there any diagnosics on the web that might help?

Who knows anything about this stuff?

I know more than I ever wanted to about web access, but unfortunately it is not enough and Swiftpage isn't offering.

Thanks for reading this novel.

John

Silver Contributor

Re: Web access through localhost ONLY. No response through device IP.

have you tried with the firewall turned off on your server?  Does it work on the server with the IP address (192.168.1.200\APFW)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

JB3

Funny you should ask.  I just found an explanation of a test on youtube from Brickhouselabs.com that pointed me there.  It confirmed that my firewall was blocking access, both inside my LAN and the internet.  Brickhouse also had another video (can't remember name) on how to use advanced settings for firewalls to allow access.

Now that I see it, I can't believe ACT support would not even mentioned it.  I think it is a default setting for the firewall.  It would have saved me a lot of time.  Maybe it is obvious to most, but I talked to several ACT support techs and 3 techs with my ISP and no one mentioned the firewall.

Regardless, I am up and running.

Thanks Jon for responding.  I appreciate it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes, I agree. Swiftpage who sell software dependent on IIS, should be supporting IIS via their helpdesk. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog