Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Web Info Tab - Link to Network Drive

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Web Info Tab - Link to Network Drive

I want to put a link to a folder on one of network drives on the Web Info tab.  Can someone tell me the syntax? Syntax of G:\FolderName1\Sub Folder Name doesn't work. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian Trish
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Web Info Tab - Link to Network Drive

try file:///

three slashes...

I often set up a field that will default to that value so that users don't have to remember it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

If G is access to a resource on the Network, should be sufficient only   G:/FolderName1/Subfolder

If we are talking about G as resource connected - We use / (Not \)

\\ It would be to call a computer on the Network, but in this case we are talking of a local unit G that connects me to a resource on the network that is already shared with permissions set to see the content

I'm not the most experienced - It's just an idea.

Bronze Super Contributor

This one is so simple, it's easy to not figure it out.

Just put "file://" in front of the desired path.

If you want to get even fancier, and have a custom field on the contact record - say "Documents", you could then store the customer's documents folder path in the field.

Change the entry for your Web Info link to "file://{Documents}" and then it open a different location for each contact based on the path in the Documents field...

Cool!

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies (and for not laughing!).  Another question though...I have entered the following:  file://g:/FolderName.com/Client Files, where the main folder name is actually "Name.com" and the subfolder name is actually "Client Files" & it still doesn't work.  It does seem simple, and yet...???

Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian Trish
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

try file:///

three slashes...

I often set up a field that will default to that value so that users don't have to remember it.

Copper Contributor

Ben, thank you.  That's it.  Just to recap, I entered:  file:///g:/NameOfFolder/Client Files, and that took me to my network drive.  Thanks to all for helping me with this.  Next I'm implementing Scott's suggestion for going directly to that customer's file. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Interestingly, double slash or triple works on my system... Wonder why?

Regarding putting a default value of file:// in a field - two things to consider:  User can easily overtype on it, breaking it, and it will also open the folder in a seperate window (which may or may not matter).

Creating a link in Web info and setting it up to reference a folder makes it much harder for a user to break the syntax and it opens the folder right inside the ACT! tab...

Now, all that said:  The real bummer about Web Info tab is that it was not designed to be easily shared among all users and it does not sync.  (In other words, w/o to hoop jumping, you cannot just create custom linkes in Web Info and expect that all users will immediately have access.  Sigh...)

Bronze Super Contributor

I've seen double slashes work, and triple slashes. Don't know why they sometimes and not others.

From some clients, I've added a text label on the layout to remind them what the prefix is (file:///).

I'd love a layout control, that I could put on a tab or 'above the fold', resizable, that does what the web info tab does.

That would allow (using this example) a box showing files in that folder.

Or you could show a small google map of their address.

Or a hundred other things...

Bronze Super Contributor

Wasn't/Isn't there something in the Devnet forum that let you put a browser pane above the tabs?

Bronze Super Contributor

Not sure...

do you have a link?