Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Web API for Premium v18 -- Do I want it or need it?

Accepted Solution Solved
Loyal Listener
Accepted Solution

Web API for Premium v18 -- Do I want it or need it?

New upgrade to Premium Desktop v18 on Win7 with Outlook 2010. I elected to install the Web API due to install screen verbiage saying it was highly desirable. The only impact I see is a new Start Menu item called "node.js".

1) I am not using ACT! Connect or Zapier. Do I need it?

2) I do not expect to use ACT! Connect or Zapier in the near future. Do I want it?. 

3) If I want/need it later, is there any reason not  to install it then?

4) How do I uninstall it?

Thanks,

Joe

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author joem845
a month ago
Administrator

Re: Web API for Premium v18 -- Do I want it or need it?

Hi Joe,

The node.js item you see in the start menu is a component of the API - but you shouldn't need to touch it, it's a service that runs in the background.

If you want to make the most of the API and the connections that it offers, then we'd absolutely recommend creating a Zapier account. Essentially it allows you to 'link together' Act with various other services available on the Zapier site.

Zapier lets you create 'zaps' which tie actions from one service to actions on another - so for example, whenever a suveymonkey survey is filled in it can automatically create a contact in Act! Or whenever you create a new contact in Act! have it create a new to-do item in 'Trello'.

There are hundreds of apps on Zapier that you can connect with Act!

The API is just the 'internet connector' that allows services like Zapier to write and read your database over the internet.

If you don't have a use for these features, then you can simply uninstall it from windows Programs & Features. You'd be looking for the Act Web API Hosted and the Act Connect Link.

If you want to use it later, you can absolutely download and install it then instead.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author joem845
a month ago
Administrator

Hi Joe,

The node.js item you see in the start menu is a component of the API - but you shouldn't need to touch it, it's a service that runs in the background.

If you want to make the most of the API and the connections that it offers, then we'd absolutely recommend creating a Zapier account. Essentially it allows you to 'link together' Act with various other services available on the Zapier site.

Zapier lets you create 'zaps' which tie actions from one service to actions on another - so for example, whenever a suveymonkey survey is filled in it can automatically create a contact in Act! Or whenever you create a new contact in Act! have it create a new to-do item in 'Trello'.

There are hundreds of apps on Zapier that you can connect with Act!

The API is just the 'internet connector' that allows services like Zapier to write and read your database over the internet.

If you don't have a use for these features, then you can simply uninstall it from windows Programs & Features. You'd be looking for the Act Web API Hosted and the Act Connect Link.

If you want to use it later, you can absolutely download and install it then instead.
Bronze Elite Contributor

I would like to see an article on the ACT API and Zapier along with a list of apps that link and their functionality.

It seems Swiftpage produced the API but have left users to discover for themselves how it can be useful instead of promoting it in a way end users can appreciate. 

Loyal Listener

Thanks Jon for the informative, clear, and prompt reply.

I will uninstall the API. My users are more likely to be looking for zaps that have been done rather than zaps that could be done. They might find them in what Ch1p suggests or in some low volume marketing trickle from SwiftPage.

As for "node.js", the Ministry of Uninformative Names is to be congratulated.