Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Way to prevent any history from appearing under a contact?

Copper Contributor

Way to prevent any history from appearing under a contact?

Hi,

We are a fairly small company just trying to get our users(14 total) familiar with ACT. For these first few weeks we've had everyone working on adding histories to contacts when they talk with a customer, adding opportunities for loans in the pipeline, and creating new contacts for prospects that weren't in our core system.

To track how much users have or haven't been doing, I've been working with pulling up reports related to the histories added this week, by contact. Unfortunately this also pulls up a line for each user, when we really want it to just be for the customers contacted this week. Our Outlook calendars are synced with ACT, so we've got a lot of "appointment completed" that are taking up space on this report.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to simply log no history for a particular contact, in this case a database user? For this week's reports I went through each user individually and deleted the history, but that's quite tedious and isn't going to be a long term solution.

Or, any other ideas for a work-around when trying to see what kind of histories our users have added for the week?

Thanks much!

Silver Contributor

Re: Way to prevent any history from appearing under a contact?

The only way to filter these out of a report is to use a 3rd party reporting tool.

Like Stonefield Query, CRystal Reports, TopLine Dash, or Durkin Impact.

If you are hand with access or Excel, it is possible to do it there, but requires some advanced skills.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Elite Contributor

Another alternative not mentioned is Smart Dash at US$99.00 is a good option, refer the attached screenshot.

More information here http://www.xactsoftware.co.nz/smart-dash

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you only need a count, check the History Summary Classic report.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Cyane,

This isn't a perfect answer, but it'll save you a lot of time vs. going to 14 records and still allow you to use the "native" reporting.  There are definitely 3rd party dashboards / reporting tools that can filter this out, but if you just want to delete user history as quickly as possible, I would create a Group that contains all the Contact records for the Users of the database and then delete the History via the History tab on that Group, so you can do it all in one shot.

I believe there's one that exists in new databases called "Database Users", but I'll go through how to create that one if you don't have it.

Here's how you'd do that:

1. Create a new group - I'll call mine All Users (or "z All Users" if you prefer it to be at the bottom of your list of groups)

2. Click on the "Contacts" tab for that Group and click "Add/Remove Contacts..."

3. Click the "Edit Criteria" button

4. Create Contact criteria for field name "Is User" with Operator "Equal To" and Value "True", then click "add to list" and then OK

The History tab on that Group will now show all history for any contact in that group, which in this case is all your users.

Keep in mind of course that users might want this history for reference, although history on your other records is probably a lot more important.

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Contributor

Thanks so much Len--this will get me through while we look into whether or not an add-on is necessary for us. Thanks!