Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Warranty and Service

Warranty and Service

I sent a message to Sage without response.
I feel that when I buy a Corporate License for 5 Users, I should not have to incur so many incremental costs for Support.
I think that this Forum, while wonderful and very helpful, is in some ways an abbrogation of responsibility on their part.

Case in point are features that are advertised as enhancements over prior versions, and form the basis of the purchase decision.  If these features do not work, and are being "debugged" should I have had to pay full price ?, should I have to pay an annual fee for support ?

The item in question that has me miffed is the Activity Series, which does not work in ACT Premium. It schedules all Activities under the Scheduling User despite having carefully created a Template.

My message to Sage simply asks if I buy a Car that does not have one of its systems in proper operation, do I have any recourse under the Warranty ?, well of course, I do, but there are no Lemon Laws for Software........

This is not intended as a blast on ACT or Sage, I have been a User since ACT for DOS !
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Warranty and Service

Our company purchased 7 copies of Act Prem 2005. I recently received information in the mail regarding a class action lawsuit which addresses many of the issues you're mentioning. It looks like Sage is getting sued for many of the issues you're addressing. Below is a brief summary, I can forward you more information if you pvt msg me.

Health Science Products, LLC
vs.
Sage Software

To: All persons who purchased a valid Act! 2005 software license for use during the period from June 1, 2004 until November 28, 2007.

Nature of the Action:
Plaintiff in the Action alleges that ACT! 2005 has a materially flawed design that prohibits users from applying all advertised functions of ACT! 2005. These claims asserted in the Action are premised on alleged breach of warranty, fraud, negligence, unjust enrichment, deceptive business practices, and violations of consumer protection statues. Plaintiff seeks declaratory and injunctive relief, and damages.
Champion Listener

While I usually would not directly reply to a technical question, since this one is embedded in a philosophical question, and a reply to the post mentions my favorite topic of Class Actions, I thought I'd chime in.

No, jimfastcar, you should not have to pay to get critical issues fixed in the current version.  The issue of the activity series you described is fixed in our service release, 10.02, which went live last night. The "upgrade popup" in your software will activate in April.  Should you wish to get it sooner, you can download it from our site.

They can get Premium US Version here: http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm?DOWNLOAD=394

And the Standard US version here: http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm?DOWNLOAD=395

You'll need an ACT.com profile, which you can create if you don't have one.

You can view my thoughts on defects in software here

Dave

I am in Sales and as such am a supplier of a service and product.  When a  Client is unhappy with something I provide, all I can do is answer their concern to the best of my ability.
Thank you for your answer to my concern.
I will contact your support group to get this fixed, and hopefully we can all get back to what we do best as soon as possible.
Platinum Elite Contributor

jimfastcar wrote:
The item in question that has me miffed is the Activity Series, which does not work in ACT Premium. It schedules all Activities under the Scheduling User despite having carefully created a Template.

Are you sure you set the Schedule For correctly as per this ACT! knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/23z37u

And that the other user has granted access to you as per this article - http://tinyurl.com/23pcvm

I am sure I created the Activity series correctly
Calendar access is full here at my machine home office, I will check Office machines Monday, but believe this is true there also
We are a small firm of 3 Advisors + 2 Staff, and our ACT Consultant would have set it up this way I expect - will confirm
Thanks

The other issue at hand is that I have been offered Tech support by Sage (until April 4 ??), so I could use them to apply new patch. There are 8 machines involved - Server + 5 desktops at office + 2 remote.
Our ACT Consultant could also do it for us - 9 x 1/2 hr per machine = $$$
If something goes wrong I prefer it to be in the hands of the local support, but I also feel, I purchased a defective product, and should not have to pay for a fix.........
Platinum Elite Contributor

jimfastcar wrote:
IIf something goes wrong I prefer it to be in the hands of the local support, but I also feel, I purchased a defective product, and should not have to pay for a fix.........

For this, you'll nearly always find the ACCs are better and faster... most have been supporting ACT! a lot longer than those in tech support.