Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WARNING: SBS2008 64 bit and ACT! Premium For Web 2009

WARNING: SBS2008 64 bit and ACT! Premium For Web 2009

Do not install APFW2009 on a SBS2008 64bit (and likely Server 2008) with IIS7 if you use RPC/HTTP (Outlook Anywhere - TS gateway).

Due to a Microsoft Bug™ (http://forums.iis.net/p/1151288/1877461.aspx) involving IIS7 and the RPCproxy 'bitness', 32bit application pools (as required by APFW) will fail. Application pools can be returned to 64bit (global default, or individually as is a feature of IIS7) and will function again.

Do not remove RPC/HTTP as suggested as this appears to cause a cascading failure. RPC/HTTP will not function even when re-installed. I am trialling APFW2009 but I need Outlook Anywhere, so I am not happy.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: WARNING: SBS2008 64 bit and ACT! Premium For Web 2009

Several items worth mentioning here:

1) Small Business Server 2008 is only available as 64bit due to it Microsoft Exchange 2007 component

2) ACT! Premium for Web 2009 was / is not supported on this operating system as it wasn't released until November 2008 where APFW2009 came out in August.  There are no current plans to support this.

3) APFW2009 is supported on Server 2008 x32 and x64, but it uses the IIS 6.0 compatibility features and on 64bit, requires the 32bit functionality enable. 

Thanks, hope this is useful information.

Matthew McFadden

Re: WARNING: SBS2008 64 bit and ACT! Premium For Web 2009

I withdraw my statement about Outlook Anywhere being unable to function after RPC-HTTP re-install. That was due to 2 issues of my part.

1.  Uninstalling RPC-HTTP also removes TSgateway which is required by Outlook Anywhere. Being a one way dependancy, TSgateway it isn't automatically re-installed with RPC-HTTP. I overlooked that. It's not that easy to find to re-install either.

2.  I seperated APFW from the default site (besides global 'RPCproxy bitness' failure - seemed silly forcing the default site to 32bit for the sake of APFW, as IIS7 supports 32bit on a per site basis) by re-creating both as individual sites. I then deleted the default site. RPC-HTTP requires the default site (more specifically site 1) and would silently fail during installation leaving a dead site_1 which prevents the web server from running. APFW appears to attach itself to the lowest (rather than first) site so it's issues are different.

A lot of ACT! customers will no doubt started moving to SBS2008 soon, and while it's stated the fix for the RPCproxy issue is scheduled by Microsoft for the next service pack, not so much as a hotfix has been released in the 6 months Microsoft has been aware of the issue.

There is off course the option of foregoing anything that uses RPC-HTTP (by removing it, and thus the manifestation of the bug) but that isn't always feasible.The manual bitness fix is a bit too hacky and risky to be a recommended approach.

At least people can be aware of the issue. Luckily I was only trialling APFW on SBS2008 (64bit only) and wasn't in the process of moving all of our Act! users over... Dodged a bullet...