Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Vista32 vs. WinXP Pro for new Web server?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Vista32 vs. WinXP Pro for new Web server?

Just purchased a new computer to host Act Prem. 2008 for Web.  Can install either Vista32 for Business or Win XP Pro(32) with IIS enabled.  The old server is running WinXP Pro.  I hear that things generally run faster with XP Pro, and Vista does have more memory overhead and stuff running and/or installed that Act will never use.  So my leaning is to stick with XP.  But the new server is already running Vista, so to switch to XP is a downgrade -- which is not a problem.  Any feedback on performance of the Act Web server running on Vista vs. XP?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author commstrat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Vista32 vs. WinXP Pro for new Web server?

Interesting, I would have expected a performance drop under Vista.  XP Pro or Windows Server has a lot less baggage, less memory overhead, less graphics demand (Vista high-end graphics not needed for Act Web server).  But the server does run outside the graphical engine, so your experience might be right.  I might just set up some test beds and try both ways.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

As long as you stay away from any of the Home products, your APFW configuration should be fine.

I've installed it on both (obviously more on XPP), and found little performance difference with either. Is Vista's network setup needlessly layered with "user friendly" wizards? Yes! 

However, once you get down to the basic network settings, it's easy enough.

- Just remember, provide the APFW local user with Admin privileges.

- port 80 opened in Windows Firewall

- don't try to be clever and manually assign your IP in the IIS settings. Stick with "any available..."

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Solution
Accepted by topic author commstrat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Interesting, I would have expected a performance drop under Vista.  XP Pro or Windows Server has a lot less baggage, less memory overhead, less graphics demand (Vista high-end graphics not needed for Act Web server).  But the server does run outside the graphical engine, so your experience might be right.  I might just set up some test beds and try both ways.