Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Viewing "notes" on main ACT dashboard/layout, NOT in tab?

Viewing "notes" on main ACT dashboard/layout, NOT in tab?

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered before; searches gleaned nothing.

Is there a way to have the "notes" list appear on the main contact layout in some kind of scrollable dialogue box, rather than as a tab? I don't like the tab system much, and am hoping to use the notes field far more than I currently am.

I appreciate any offers of help. Thank you!

Dan

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Viewing "notes" on main ACT dashboard/layout, NOT in tab?

You could use a memo field and place it on the Contact view

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Actually, Graeme, that's exactly what I HAVE done, a few years ago. Problem is, now my "Scratchpad" is becoming huge and unwieldy - almost every contact has pages of notes I've added manually, that I WISH I'd done using the note system so they could be more easily sorted (for example, by date).

Is there an addon out there that makes notes look like more-functional memo fields?

Thanks for the reply.

Bronze Elite Contributor

So if your producing so many notes I need to ask, having created them, do you need to run lookups or how exactly do you want to retrieve the information?

Are the notes entirely unique entries or could you be selecting from a drop-down selection from a field?

Graeme Leo

The notes I put in are a mixture of (1) entirely unique email correspondence or phone call records, or even notes like "blogged on recent article at www...", and (2) standard non-unique notes like "-Sept 9 09: attended event at Laurentian club" (the latter of which I'll copy-and-paste into all the attendees scratchpads).

The problem is, items like the latter should have been in a note format for easier lookup and organization, but I never tried the Note fields because I hated how they were tucked away in a tab. How I regret that now! :/

Bronze Elite Contributor

There are a number of different sources you have listed.

Notes are generally considered to be something that is not time/date concious. For example a note about a customers preferences for a particular choice of accomodation if you were in the travel industry. Contrast this to a history item wherein the date of recording has significance. For example the customer complained that on the last vist the room was not suitable because there was noise from traffic. In this example the date could be important. To handle that in ACT! you would create a history entry rather than a note. You can easily invoke the creation of a History item by the keyboard shortcut 'Ctrl + H' which will pop the Record History window. This will place the record in the History tab rather than in the Notes tab.

If you are wanting to record email then you would integrate ACT! with Outlook to record both inbound and outbound email and this will be placed in the History tab. Phone calls is simply a Ctrl + H function and select the appropriate entry from the Results field in the top right hand field in the window that is displayed.

If it is meetings and you have previously recorded the meeting as an Activity in ACT! then you would choose the 'Clear Activity' option for the activity and in that way it will record to history against the contact record. 

Graeme Leo

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try the Middle Pane freebie from

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ADN_Downloads&thread.id=9&jump=true

This will allow you to display the Notes tab (or any other) seperately from the other tabs

Message Edited by GLComputing on 19-10-2009 11:41 AM

Great, thanks--will give it a try!