Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Various error messages encountered in installation

Tuned Listener

Various error messages encountered in installation

Hi All:

I'm trying to install Act 2008 on a XP machine.  Previously Act 2006 was installed.  I have uninstalled the previous version, attempted to install 2008.  Received error message upon launch:  "The application failed to initialize properly (oxc000135).  Click on OK to terminate the application"

Uninstalled again, and removed sql instance manually.  Manually uninstalled ACT.  Have read through other posts in this forum and tried to follow suggestions two and three times.

Now, I cannot install.  Halfway through the installation, I receive the following error messages:

"Error 2908  could not register component 7B6........."
"Error 1935  could not register component 7B6........."
"Error 1603  Fatal error during installation..."

Please help!  An installation should not be this difficult.  Are these errors related to the sql instance or another Microsoft component?  How can I troubleshoot this further?

Any help is appreciated.

Tuned Listener

Re: Various error messages encountered in installation

Update:

1.  Added XP Update and rebooted
2.  Manually uninstalled ACT again.  The Act uninstaller.exe didn't work.  It threw an error message.
3.  Logged on as administrator.  Started install process.
4.  Received error message:  "Error 2908... could not register component 7BC66624-7A15-477E-80F8-D80484C2A74"
5.  Received error message:  "Error 1935... could not register component (same as above)
6.  Error 1603 - Fatal Installation Error - Consult Windows Installer Help
7.  Called ACT Support and requested updated CD. 
8.  Replied they would send a link for 10.0.2.  Received the link, but it's for ACT Premium for Web.  Responded we needed update for ACT Premium, and still waiting on a response.

Definitely seems like a bug in the 10.0.1 version with a previous installation existing and Windows Installer.
Tuned Listener

Error messages 2908, 1935, and 1603 are all windows installer error messages.  I reinstalled Windows Installer from the Dependencies folder, and reinstalled.  I still received the same error messages.

I then used the installer cleanup utility from the microsoft site kb 290301, but there were no entries for ACT.  In the log file, the following appears:

Registry Key Software\SageSQLInfo not found.
Before calling Pre-Req on the second run:10:19:04

Any ideas on why the Registry key file is not found.  I am installing from a CD.

Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There was a problem with one of the 10.01 installers for SQL... You might try downloading the full build of 10.02 from the Knowledge Base.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if istill there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site (only for XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10.02 full install
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot
Tuned Listener

Mike:

I just wanted to say thank you.  If ACT isn't paying you, then they should be.  You've helped me out several times in this forum, and quite frankly, if I didn't have your help, I would have given up on ACT.

Thanks again!
Platinum Elite Contributor

sunnydd wrote:
Mike:

I just wanted to say thank you.  If ACT isn't paying you, then they should be.  You've helped me out several times in this forum, and quite frankly, if I didn't have your help, I would have given up on ACT.

Thanks again!

Sadly no... I don't get paid for this