Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Vanishing teams ;-(

Copper Contributor

Vanishing teams ;-(

Technical environement:

ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4

Database schema according to actdiag is: 11.01.0178.0000

Running on Windows XP clients and SBS2008 server. 

I must likely have some serious database corruption problems, but unfortunatly these problems seem to have already lasted for about 3 months now. All backups are having the same 'problem': it seems as if certain teams are vanished in Act.

Please note the following screenshots:

Throughout the entire database I have setup several teams to facilitate an easy management of security of access.

In stead of having to add and restrain access of users on a userbase, I use the team feature. By having access set on base of a team, i can simply add an user to a team to highten or restrain access to parts of the database. See below:

So far so good.. however.. in MANAGE TEAMS, all my teams are gone:

Of course i could create a new team with a name that is consistent with a name used in FieldSecurity set up (for Example: "Secretariaat" which is Dutch for the secretary department).
Doing so results in a strange errormessage that a team with that name already exists:

(please note: In the above screenshot I blacked out the usernames for privacy reasons)

So. It seems as if the team still exists, but the team is no longer manageble through the MANAGE TEAMS dropdown.

Of course i already did a complete repair, reindex etc. on the database, both with the Act internal ones as with the ACTDiag program, but the teams are gone and stay gone.

It looks as if the database is corrupted. 

Can anyone comment on the above situation? Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde

aka The Dutch Betatester

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Vanishing teams ;-(

Unfortunately I'm unable to tell you what is wrong with the database, but I would recommend that you think about recreating it.  I suggest you create an Empty Copy of the database (File > Save Copy As > Empty Copy option) and test entering the Team name into this new database.  The Empty Copy should strip out all of the security settings and give you a fresh start.  If the Empty Copy tests successfully you can then import the old database into the new one.

For instructions on the import process: Best Practices for Importing an Act! database into an Act! database

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Re: Vanishing teams ;-(

Thank you for answering. We already tried to do so. Unfortunatly we run into the error as described at the KB.

By exporting the demodatabase in the 'save empty copy as' at the desired folder, we checked that there are no security or access problems regarding the windows environement.

We narrowed things down up to the option were the KB describes that the missing birth day field could be the cause of the failure of not being able to save an empty copy. Indeed we have erased the birth day field. Unfortunatly adding a field "Birth Date" does not do the job. Through the ACTREADER utility we have seen that the format of the Birth Date field in an fresh database is not the same as making a NEW birthdayfield.

The KB suggests in this situation to make a new database and to import or data of the 'old' database into the new database. In our situation we have very many custom fields. We are not able to import from the old database unless we FIRST make all the custom fields in the new base first. Please note, were talking about having > 70 custom fields)

(There a utility would be handy where during the import and fieldmapping process one could make a custom field while importing).

Is there any way to have a little util/fix from Sage which restores the birthday field so we are able to do a 'save empty copy as'?

For the programmers of Sage: within the tables of act there is a flag which is called 'removable' for each field. The birthdayfield is marked as removable = YES. This is not consistent with the field being of such an importance during 'save empty copy as'?

Any suggestions or help appreciated!

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'