Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

VERY slow open speed after 2012 service pack update

Tuned Listener

VERY slow open speed after 2012 service pack update

After patching ACT Premium 2012 to service pack 1it now takes litterally minutes to open a database. Eventually it opens but is hanging on "Logon complete". This is now the case on 3 different computers. 

Any one else with the issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: VERY slow open speed after 2012 service pack update

If you previously had this issue, then fixed it in 2012, then the update may have reset something, namely the Welcome Page settings. The issue you are describing sounds similar to the one described in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2262...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thanks Greig, I'll see if removing the home folder helps. Though they default their start page to Contact Detail, it still could be trying to load the welcome page in the background.
Marshall Hayes
Hayes Consulting LLC
Tuned Listener

Removing the Home folder had no effect.

I did however add the SQL port to the firewall and that may have remedied it. Further testing is required. Though if it does work, others can find the port number (which seems different on every install) by using ACTDiag.
Marshall Hayes
Hayes Consulting LLC
Tuned Listener

Let me update this with some specifics:

1. Find the right port number by going to START, Run, type ACTDiag and click OK
2. Go to the Server, Server Security menu
3. Copy the port number here
4. Go to Windows firewall, add an exception to the firewall for that port
Marshall Hayes
Hayes Consulting LLC
Copper Contributor

Did this issue ever resolve?

I changed machines to an upgraded WIN7 box and Act now takes approximately 3-4 minutes to completely load.

It hangs on "Logon Completed". I've tried renaming the Home folder and all that does is provide a generic error instead of the welcome screen. Windows Firewall is not in use so I'm kinda stuck.

I have a user experiencing a similar issue. It hangs at "Logon completed" for about 5 minutes before continuing. I'm fairly certain it isn't A/V or firewall since if I login with the same windows account but a different ACT account it starts up at the usual speed. This user recently had their Win XP computer replaced with Win 7 (32-bit).

The user has little (3) tasks and few events. Startup view is contacts. I also have issues with Outlook - it can't find the ACT DB.
Tuned Listener

Interesting update Chester. If it's truely user specific then one possible resolution is to recreate that user and reassign all the data to the new user.

I'll give a quick walkthrough of how I would proceed. In my example the broken user is named John.

0. Backup the Database!

1. Login to the database as an admin

2. Create a new user (Tools, Manage Users) named John 2

3. Test that the John 2 login works correctly

4. Assuming it does, Log back in as administrator

5. Choose to delete the broken "John" user (tools, manage users)

6. Upon choosing to delete it asks what to do with John's data,  choose to reassign his data to John 2

7. Lastly, rename John 2 to just John.

8. Test

If it still failed then some data tied to the user is causing the issue. Though I would wager that upon reassigning the data, it may drop the corrupted data. I've had success with this in the past for other user corruption issues. 

If anything goes wrong or it doesn't look right, restore the backup you made in step 0 and we'll have to try something else.

Marshall Hayes

Marshall Hayes
Hayes Consulting LLC