Accepted Solution

VERY disapointed with ACT 2008-2009

Copper Contributor

Re: VERY disappointed with ACT 2008-2009

Thanks Mike for clarifying.

Regards

Chip

Re: VERY disapointed with ACT 2008-2009

Thanks for fixing the link to the Act! features comparison chart. I've been looking for something like this for awhile.  

However:

• None of the 2009 features are listed in the chart. It stops at 2008.
  • It looks like Act! 6.0 and Act! 2005 have more features (more checkmarks) than any of the newer versions. That can't be right. Someone at corporate may want to fix this marketing piece. It's a poor tool to sell upgrading.

Thanks. 

As to BrianNydish disappointments, I agree with him on many of his points. I have a very detailed & customized database and am very accomplished at using and customizing the system. Would become certified but they want WAY too much money and they won't provide me with the number of licenses that exist in my market area, so I can't make an intelligent business decision. 

I have suggested scores of recommended improvements in Act! for years but most were ignored. They've added a lot of glitz to the product but not in real new functionality.

The report development tool is still broken (should work like Crystal) and has always been broken. Users also need to invest in a ton of after market add-on tools (one for each license usual) to make this thing work the way it should.  But this drives up the cost of ownership.  

And who wants to pay for the added cost of a Certified Act! consultant. That also drives up the cost of ownership. 

And I don't like having to buy 7 licenses each year either for bug fixes and glitz. Yes the Microsoft Word and Outlook interface change was useful, but I haven't seen a lot of value in the most of the other enhancements.  

I will not upgrade if they haven't allowed making auto-populating groups using criteria from ALL the tables; not just Contacts and Opportunities tables, and specifically using any field from any table using AND, OR and NOT criteria.

Need to make subgroups from criteria of other groups for effective marketing campaigns, but don't want to buy 7 copies of the after-market add-ins. We shouldn't have to use Stonefield Query and its slow processing engine to get these types of results. The over-abundance of add-in tools shows that the basic Act! software software is under-developed. 

Thx for hearing us out. 

LarryA from Vegas

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LarryA wrote:
Thanks for fixing the link to the Act! features comparison chart. I've been looking for something like this for awhile.  

However:

• None of the 2009 features are listed in the chart. It stops at 2008.
  • It looks like Act! 6.0 and Act! 2005 have more features (more checkmarks) than any of the newer versions. That can't be right. Someone at corporate may want to fix this marketing piece. It's a poor tool to sell upgrading.

Thanks.

At the top of the PDF:

Find the version you are using in the chart and any “checked” features represent what you will eceive if you upgrade

As to BrianNydish disappointments, I agree with him on many of his points. I have a very detailed & customized database and am very accomplished at using and customizing the system. Would become certified but they want WAY too much money and they won't provide me with the number of licenses that exist in my market area, so I can't make an intelligent business decision. 

I can't think of any company with a mature consultants program that would give that kind of information

I have suggested scores of recommended improvements in Act! for years but most were ignored. They've added a lot of glitz to the product but not in real new functionality.

The report development tool is still broken (should work like Crystal) and has always been broken. Users also need to invest in a ton of after market add-on tools (one for each license usual) to make this thing work the way it should.  But this drives up the cost of ownership.  

This becomes a question of the number of users who'd need it. If not a significant percentage, then what you're asking would drive up the cost of the product for the benefit of very few.

And who wants to pay for the added cost of a Certified Act! consultant. That also drives up the cost of ownership. 

Like with any software product, many smart business users realise that having a operson with the right skills and training look after sucn an important aspect of their business is a sensible investment that has a quick ROI, not a cost.

And I don't like having to buy 7 licenses each year either for bug fixes and glitz. Yes the Microsoft Word and Outlook interface change was useful, but I haven't seen a lot of value in the most of the other enhancements.  

No one has to buy upgrades each year... you buy them if the upgrades adds functionality that benefits your usage or is required because yo've chosen to upgrade your operating system or other products where the old version can't support it.

I will not upgrade if they haven't allowed making auto-populating groups using criteria from ALL the tables; not just Contacts and Opportunities tables, and specifically using any field from any table using AND, OR and NOT criteria.

This is probably one of those features that wouldadd to the cost of the product for everyone, but would only add value to very few

Need to make subgroups from criteria of other groups for effective marketing campaigns, but don't want to buy 7 copies of the after-market add-ins. We shouldn't have to use Stonefield Query and its slow processing engine to get these types of results. The over-abundance of add-in tools shows that the basic Act! software software is under-developed. 

Actually that shows that it's a mature product. No product in the world can satisfy every user. The mature and successful products are identified by the large range of add-on products that each add the functions that a small number of users need to the core product that has the functions that whould cover more than 80%.

Content edit.  Please keep it courteous.
Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-05-2008 11:54 AM
Copper Super Contributor

I would have to agree, which is why i did not upgrade each year

I went from v6 to v9 to v11 as i did not thing the upgrades where worth the cost, also the reliance that Sage puts into external providers producing addons for what i would consider to be standard features and charging a lot of money for them is a little over the top 

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6