Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

V20 still doesn't work with LinkedIn

Copper Contributor

V20 still doesn't work with LinkedIn

I was hoping that amidst all the bells and whistles in V20 that ACT! would have made the LinkedIn link work again.  When opening ACT! the first contact I display usually opens up in LinkedIn quickly, but subsequent contacts open extremely slow (several minutes)  or they don't open at all.  This is the issue that is going to cause me to finally switch to something like Big Biller or similar.

ACT! V20

See jpg for computer details

Administrator

Re: V20 still doesn't work with LinkedIn

Hi daverose,

As far as I'm aware everything should be working correctly when using Linked in through the social updates tab currently - quickly having tested this I was unable to replicate any slowdown even when flicking through multiple contacts quickly.

Could I suggest opening the Demo Database and testing the issue there? It will help us narrow down what exactly is causing the slowdown.
Copper Contributor

John,

It hasn't worked for me in 6 months and I know others have had the same issue.

Here's what it does after it eventually times out looking for the correct link.  When I pull up this contact up in a separate LinkedIn browser window it comes up immediately.  Again, the first contact I pull up when first opening ACT! works fine.  Then this.

Thanks,

Dave R

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

John,

I will try with the demo database, but I suspect my db is not the problem.  Here are some additional error messages.

The first pic is the linkedin message on ACT and the contact pulled up in the browser spawned from LinkedIn.  Obviously it is not a LinkedIn issue.  Why does the error message ask to recheck the website name linkedin.com.  I have 30+K contacts in my database.  Is ACT! unable to function with this many contacts?

Thanks,

Dave R

Employee

This error occurs because LinkedIn changed the formatting of the URL used to search for members.

Solution: 

Currently, this cannot be resolved for the Social Updates tab, however, you can make modifications to the URL in the Web Info tab to continue being able to access LinkedIn in Act!

1. In the Web Info tab, click Edit Links
  2. Double-click the LinkedIn URL
  3. Replace the URL with the following URL:

For United States and Canada:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/{First Name}/{Last Name} 

For United Kingdom:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/{First Name}/{Surname} 

Note: Some older UK Act! databases which have been upgraded may use the field 'Last Name' rather than 'Surname'. If 'Surname' is not available when making the above change, please select 'Last Name' instead.

4. Press Enter
  5. Attempt to access LinkedIn through the Web Info tab again to test
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Carl but this still doesn't work.  Act! does not seem to update contacts in a reasonable time.  In the picture attached ACT! is showing LinkedIn information from the previous contact that I was viewing in ACT!  Note the mismatch.  Eventually after several minutes the LinkedIn page will change. 

Here is what happens using the link you provided (LinkedInE v20.JPG) .  Single or double clicking on the web info tab and then LinkedIn does nothing.  You can see what happened when I went from LinkedIn link to Google back to LinkedIn.  It sticks on Google.

Please advise.  Could it be an internet problem?

Copper Contributor

Any advice anyone.  This is a deal killer and just a matter of time before I abandon the ACT ship.

Is this on a home or work PC? Are you running some kind of automatic configuration script and/or internet proxy?
Control Panel - Internet options - Connections - Lan Settings
Copper Contributor

Thanks Richee.  It is a home PC.  Doesn't look like any LAN settings are on.  I've attached a jpg.  I was watching memory usage the other day and noticed when I clicked on the social update tab in ACT! the memory often shot up over 30%.  My memory is maxed out at 16GB.  I will test again with no other windows open except for ACT!

Thanks again for your help.LAN settings.JPG

Highlighted
Administrator

What is the full version number of Act! you have installed Dave?

You'll find it by going to Help > About Act!