Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Gmail as the "Internet Mail" provider

Copper Elite Contributor

Using Gmail as the "Internet Mail" provider

Hello. I have downloaded ACT 2012. I have set-up Gmail to download the emails into the History tab.

My question is:

Can I use Gmail and the default internet email provider? I do not want to use Outlook. Thx.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Using Gmail as the "Internet Mail" provider

Think I answered my own question. Google (Gmail) Integration is VERY missleading. 

The following internet email clients are examples of ones that are currently known to use SSL ports and, therefore, will not work using the “Internet mail” option in ACT! Email System Setup.

Note: This list is not a complete representation and references only a sampling of providers:

• Yahoo!® free email
  • Windows Live®
  • Gmail
  • Hotmail®
  • AOL®
  • Comcast®
Nickel Contributor

I think your issue is relating to a windows issue where mailto does not launch an email. When you click on an email link in ACT! it uses the mailto function, which by default is outlook or Windows Mail. You can change this to gMail by following the complex instructions from http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Talk/thread?tid=5630cbddac6bbb47&hl=en

This is not an ACT! issue, it is your Windows Set-up.
You would set-up Google Mail integration under the Tools menu / Integrate with Google. Not Tools/Preferences/ Mail Setup wizard
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Bronze Elite Contributor

I think the expectation here is that ACT!'s own Internet Mail client should work with Gmail. The problem as pointed out is that Internet Mail does not support SSL nor alternative ports. The email client launches when you click on an email address within the ACT! record/environment  will be determined by ACT! rather than Windows.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a more convenient way to launch a new Gmail message window, pre-populated with the email address of the contact, from the Contact View in ACT! we have created a free add-on that provides a Gmail button alongside the Email field(s) in an ACT! layout. Refer FreeActAddons

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog