Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT 2012 Premium (Dekstop) with ACT 2012 Premium for the Web

Using ACT 2012 Premium (Dekstop) with ACT 2012 Premium for the Web

Need some help with an install.

I have been using the ACT Premium 2012 for some time (running on my full SQL 2008R2 that is part of the SBS2011 Premium package).

I want to add the access for my iDevices (Pad and Phone) so plan on installing the 'for the web package' on another WIN2008R2 Standard server.

Not sure on how to proceed after the install and updates and hot fixes (completed).

Do I backup my active DB and move it via restore to the "web edition" and then the existing desktops use the database from there

OR

Link the "web edition" to the active database on the current SQL server I am using (much like another desktop)?

I have gone through about 30 pages back and not found any answers.  And have download dozens of KB's about all the install stuff.

Thanks,

Ed

Copper Contributor

Re: Using ACT 2012 Premium (Dekstop) with ACT 2012 Premium for the Web

I'll be interested to hear any responses you receive here also. 

I was under the impression you could run desktop, or web, but not both.  I'm not sure if the two databases would be able to sync.  You could always backup and restore, though that would get old quick.

You cannot run both on the same machine unless one would be in a virtual window (from what I understand).  From everything I have read thus far I thought the web product was a linking type interface (go between) for the regular version of Premium that simply provided the 'web' interface.

After installing it on a separate machine however it looks like the premium version upon logging in.

If the premium web does support the full functions of the desktop when they are accessing the database then for small offices I see no need to have two servers running.  In house workstations access the database on the web edition directly and the field users access via the web portal.  I do understand that the web access does not provide all the features of the desktop version.

For four users (4 desktop of which two also are out in the field and would access the web version when needed) I hopefully don't have to run both servers.

Someone should be able to straighten me out!

Ed

Copper Contributor

I run everything with the web version.  There are a few things that are different/not available with the web version, but (at least for us) nothing that was a deal buster.

Everyone just access with a browser, with in the office or out on the road.  I have the iphone app, which is a slimmed down interface.  For looking up phone numbers and addresses or maybe adding or clearing an activity its fine.  But it doesn't do much else.