Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Users unable to create companies from contacts AND can't link contacts to companies.

Users unable to create companies from contacts AND can't link contacts to companies.

Hi all,

This is regarding ACT 2010 Premium for Web (Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 2)

I've recently run into an issue where ACT users are no longer able to create companies from a contact (the option is now greyed out) and they are no longer able to hit the browse button next to the company name while in the Contact view (thus still unable to link a contact to a company). I don't believe anything has changed as far as user permissions in our system, so I don't know what needs adjusted. 

All the users are set to 'Standard' security role, with the following abilities:

• Accounting Link Tasks
  • Export to Excel

They do not have the following:

• Delete Records
  • Remote Administrator
  • Handheld Device Sync
  • Manage Sync Subscription List

Administrators are able to perform the above actions, so it makes me think there is a permission issue...just weird that it just now has shown up since it's worked in this configuration before. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Users unable to create companies from contacts AND can't link contacts to companies.

Hello Brandon,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Are these users accessing the database through the web client or installed program?

If this is through the installed program, see if it is machine specific.  Meaning, sign onto ACT! with a 'working' username on a 'suspect' machine.  It is machine specific, it could be from a changed DPI setting or needing to run the ACT! program 'As Administrator'. 

- To 'Run As Administrator': close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test.  Note: this is only applicable to Vista/Win7 operating systems.

- Here is an article with steps to check the DPI settings: KB Article 26349

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Users unable to create companies from contacts AND can't link contacts to companies.

Hey Greg,

They are using the installed program in this case. Just as a heads up I've had him try running ACT as the administrator and still running into the same issue. The buttons and options are there, they are just greyed out (disabled) to him. 

On Tuesday I'll log into his machine and see if the problem follows the machine or the user account. I'll also confirm DPI settings.

Is there anything via permissions that would cause this?

Thank you again for all your help!

--

Brandon

Copper Elite Contributor

Brandon,

I believe it is an ACT! user permission issue.  If the standard user is not the Record Manager of the contact or company they cannot create from the company or link back from the contact. 

Greig - if this is not correct let me know - but I tested this in-house and had to make my users Managers in order to have them link and create correctly.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

Technology Transfer Services

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

Kris,

Will try that out tomorrow a.m.

Thank you very much! I think that makes sense now.

Will let you know the outcome asap.

--

Brandon