Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Users able to edit drop down lists

Users able to edit drop down lists

I have our fields in our layout setup to NOT be able to edit (can only choose from drop down list). But no matter what I do, I can still edit all fields even though that box is checked. Can you help me figure out why? We just upgraded to ACT 2010 Version 12.

Re: Users able to edit drop down lists

Based on the information provided, your issue appears to be associated with a previously reported issue. I will provide an update if the status changes, or if an alternative workaround to this issue is identified. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.
Copper Contributor

We just noticed this issue too. All users regardless of User Type (Standard, Admin) are able to edit drop down lists even though the option to edit drop down lists is disabled.

In ACT! Premium 2009, both Admins and Standard users were not able to edit drop down lists when the option is disabled in Define Fields. The same behavior is seen on the demo database as well.

We are using ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3.

I still am able to edit drop down menus. Does this not have a fix yet?
Copper Contributor

This seems to be fixed in SP1.

You might want to check both of these settings within ACT's Define Fields -

1. Limit to List - This means that users are only allowed to select values on from within the drop down list.

2. Allow users to edit items in the list - This option is found under Manage Drop Down Lists. Checking this option shows the Edit List button when the arrow for the drop down field is clicked on. (If you are already on SP1, this option is probably checked - you may want to uncheck it).

I hope this helps!

~Sudha

It has not been fixed cause my lists say NOT to allow users to edit list and yet they still can.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello nikitatime,

After testing, the issue does appear to be resolved with SP1. Please verify the settings for your dropdown list:

- For the dropdown list, ensure that "Allow users to edit items in this list" is unchecked

If you have this setting and you still have the option to "Edit list values", then there may be an issue with the field or dropdown list. Try creating a new field a new dropdown list for, uncheck the option to edit the list and test.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I double checked everything you said. I created a new field, drop down list, etc.  You can still edit the values. How do I see if we even have the fix downloaded/

ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 2
English (United States)
Sage Software, Inc.
©2009 Sage Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Sage, the Sage logos, ACT! and the Sage product and service names mentioned herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sage Software, Inc., or its affiliated entities. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Portions of the ACT! application and associated documentation were created by third parties and are hereby acknowledged as follows: © 2000 Microsoft Corporation. © 2002-2003 The

This is what it says under "about" us.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Go to Help/About ACT!. Your version should be 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1. You will need to verify this on all machines.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.