Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User Manual

User Manual

Can someone explain why I pay for ACT and get zero support, no users or administrators manual and keep getting pushed off to 3rd party companies for support. These company are not specifically ACT ONLY people and many I have spoken too have tried to switch me to a different CRM.

I would like some real support from ACT! this third party force is probably going to lose customers.

If someone can direct me to a manual I would appreciate it.

DO NOT SEND ME A LINK TO BUY A BOOK!!!! 

It really strikes me as odd that the company wont or cant support its own software.

Administrator

Re: User Manual

Hi 1LazyGuy2,

If you're paying for an Act! subscription, then you should certainly be receiving support. We offer technical support for subscribers and those with support contracts via phone, web ticket, email and web chat. You can find all our contact info here to get a support session started.

If you are sure you are a subscriber, and have been denied support, please send me a PM with your account number and I'll find out what's going on.

As far as written manuals and instruction goes, Act! has a built in user manual. Just hit F1 while in the software and you'll be presented with the manual for the particular area of the software you're currently looking at.

We also have thousands of Knowledgebase articles on best practices and setup procedures: http://kb.act.com

There are curated guides for common "Getting started" activities available on the Resources section of our website: https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started

Other feature-specific guides can be found here: https://www.act.com/resources/documentation

If videos are your thing, then we have a number of libraries on particular topics, as well as feature tour videos for the main program features:

https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours

Act! Premium Videos

Act! Emarketing Video

Act! Connections

Lastly, I know you don't want a link to buy a book, but forgive me for posting these, as others might not know about them:

We have user workbooks for training and administration purposes, as well as detailed setup manuals available to buy here. There are also available in other languages.

I hope this information is useful.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is the guide in PDF form that is included with Premium installation disc.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Here is the manual in PDF form of the ACT for WEB users guide

First I have called and been directed to the knowledge base the community and third party companies. Right here in this community have you read the section that says read here before you post?
It says that sage no longer supports ACT, I wanted to get some questions answered about moving some fields and using different field types to make ACT actually effective and capture the data I want my sales staff to have. The 2 times I've called it was miserable, absolutely miserable all they wanted me to do was to pay to go to a class or pay a third party to answer my questions. I asked the last lady about it and she said they do not help with that and I needed to go to an ACT partner. I looked up a few and called the rates they want are stupid to go through things with me. Then they tried to sell me a different software. ACT needs to get their ACT together. Looking at all the latest links you sent me it seems they only thing for users is to pay for a manual that may or may not give me the help I need. We use premium web and pay monthly, the company has been using act for a handful of years before it was purchased. The previous owner and management did not use the software to its assumed potential and now we have inherited a mess. The lack of support from the company, the being pushed to purchase manuals that should be provided or available for free for subscribers. The being pushed to use outside vendors for support, coming to the community and seeing that act is not supported properly makes no business sense to me. Business is about customer service and support!! Lacking very much in my interactions with ACT.
Administrator

Hi 1LazyGuy2,

I think you might have misunderstood the statement on the thread you mention. The statement "Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software" is meant to convey that since Sage no longer own the Act! brand and products, they do not provide the support any more. Support for Act! is now managed by Swiftpage who are the current owners of Act! since February 2013.

I've amended this statement to avoid future confusion.

When it comes to Swiftpage technical support, we can help you out with the following kinds of questions:

• How do I...?
  • Why does X happen when I...?
  • What does the message X mean?
  • I'm experiencing an error when...

etc.

The more specific your questions are, the better we can help.

For questions in the style of high-level best practices (i.e. deployment types in your individual scenario), database design and data processing, we may redirect you to our network of Act! Certified Consultants who can provide a more personalised support service to you to meet your companies needs.

For more detailed information on exactly what we can support you with, please check out our Scope of Services document.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I know that it costs money to have an ACC help you but I believe you would benefit from having a visit from a local ACC who could give you a 1 to 1 on how to achieve what you are looking to get from the product and practically guide you on how to do it so you end up with the changes you want and the knowledge you need to progress going forward. It is a relatively small investment when weighed against the benefit of getting the full potential of the product and the efficiency and saved time it can give.

You don't have to agree with my comments but my experience is that with any software some hands on training is worth hours of reading manuals or looking up the internet although they all have their place.  Hope you get what you want out of the product and wish you well.

[ Edited ]

I still feel that it is not a good business practice to NOT supply user manuals and complete guides to ACT Customers. I used ACT back in the late 90's and it came with a basic manual that walked you through a lot of the items.

I do believe that a third party company can assist in setting up the software to do what we want, I am sure they can do it faster and perhaps more effectively. I am a DIY type of person and if supplied a full manual I usually can figure it out enough to get the foundation I want and need. If I ended up over my head then I can reach out for additional assistance.

I feel that they do not provide manuals to generate revenue for themselves and for the "partners" - 2 of their partners recommended I change from ACT to salesforce. That really made me wonder why in the world that ACT would be using these companies when it seems that it may end up costing them more in the long run. It seem counter intuitive to use people you cant control or manage to manage your product when they specialize in many other products that do the same thing and they are not just "support" companies they are also "sales" companies for multiple products that do the same of similar. They are simply going to steer the individuals that they are working with to do what is most beneficial financially to their company not the ACT user or ACT.

At the end of the day all I would like is to be provided the manuals to make adjustments to templates and how and what fields can be made into reports, creating reports and finding less cumbersome ways to do the things we need to do. I would like to find a way to use the integrated quoting tool and it not look like a kindergartener put the quote template together and NOT pay another fee or purchase another 3rd party software. I am sure there has to be a manual that covers the core - all the features and how to utilize them - how to properly make a quote template that stays together and the ability to add a column to the quote template that hold an in depth product description. a way to allow for more text to be added to the product description.

I was just sent a link to a manual to purchase "end users manual" for 50.00 but who know if it even covers all or any of the items I want and need, then will I be directed to purchase another manual? Every product or service I have EVER PURCHASED obtaining manuals never have carried additional costs over and above my subscription. Administrators guides or and more in depth sure - but the day to day stuff NEVER. It just seems instead of customer care its customer pay. If that's the way I treated my clients or the way my clients felt after or while doing business with me I would have to reconsider what steps we are taking as a business. Business is grown faster by referrals than cold call marketing every time. Based on my experience so far how could I give a referral? I don't think a user manual / owners guide on how to make the tools effective, basic set up and practices for fields. Building reports and explanation of integrated reports is out of line.

Any way - I will continue my quest for information and try to get this all figured out. I don't want to switch software, I want to make what we are using work correctly. Perhaps since swiftpage / ACT does not in my experience give support as the 2 times I have called I did not get any and was told that I needed to use the knowledge base, check the community or use a partner, I may have to explore using a ACT partner, I can assure you I will not be using the 2 I have had contact with already as I feel that they lack integrity. trying to sell me a competitive tool is insane!

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

[ Edited ]

Hey 1LazyGuy2,

I have been calling Act! Tech Support for many, many months.  It does require me to call when there is availability of tech supt staff, but when I was trying to get the "Secure Server" installed such that we could link to Outlook, I called nearly everyday for 19 days.   We finally got the issue resolved, and it's been working link a charm since (at least for access to the system over Windows Mobile Phones.  We use APFW and have just recently added three new users, and the tutorials are great (you'll find the videos on the Welcome Page).    

As for the third party issues, I too am a serious DIY'er guy.  I pulled the server hosting away from the 3rd party and installed it on our own server.   Recently, I cloned the disk to an SSD Drive and now we are adding thousands more records, working with VA's to update our contract records.  The Browser based app is very stable, and it doesn't matter where you are on the globe.   

There are things I would like it to do more easily (e.g. let me make a shortcut button in the Task Menu Bar  (e.g. so I can quickly click to see "Tasks", to integrate to Skype or Google Voice to use as an auto-dialer, but with quick Youtube availability, Swiftpage's own Tutorial videos readily accessible, the Knowledge Base and community, I've never feel like I don't have access to decent support.   

Good luck!!! 

Employee

Hi,

All complete manuals are online for free.
http://kb.act.com

Here is the complete guide to creating and changing layouts.

15332 Designing Layouts in Act! versions 2005 and later

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15332/kw/layout

In addition, here is the chapter how to work with custom opportunities 

22157 How to Customize Opportunity User Fields

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22157/kw/opportunities/related/1