Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading to New Service Pact - db Unrecognizable

Upgrading to New Service Pact - db Unrecognizable

What a frustrating experience.  So, I upgrade to the new ACT, create a back-up, upgrade, install and now ACT will not let me open my database. I followed the instructions.  The error tells me the database has been locked by the Administrator and to try again later.  Hmmm...I am the administrator.  Not only that, but I was informed that one of the major issues people complained about in the new version 10 was going to be fixed and come to find out it is not.  I wish I could go back to version 9.  The amount of time, energy and cost associated with this software is not worth it.

David

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading to New Service Pact - db Unrecognizable

You can unlock your database through the Actdiag utility.  To use this utility:

- left click on the Windows Start button

- on XP > select Run > enter command 'actdiag' > hit enter

- on Vista/Win7 > in Search field > enter command 'actdiag' > hit enter

(this utility can also be found at C:\program files\act\act for windows\actdiag.exe - double click on it to initiate)

You will see a disclaimer (accept it) then the Act! Diagnostics screen will appear.  In the left hand column click on the word Databases > then select Database List.

- In the right hand column you will now see your database name in the list > left click on the gray box to left of the name to highlight the line.

- Right click on your database name and select 'Unlock Database' from the menu.

Greg Martin
Sage

Two of my associates who have tried to follow the ACT instructions for upgrading have also had issues.  They are receiving an error message:  "You do not have permission to download updates.  You must be a windows Administrator.  Each of them are the administrators for their computers.  We opened up Act in Administrator mode by right clicking the program and choosing run as Administrator.  This did not work either.

I'm having the same problem. I bought a new laptop, installed Act 2009 (version 11.0). Backed up on the old laptop, but when I try to restore it says the version of Act I installed from the CDs is older than the version I'm trying to restore from. So I try to "update act" and it says I have to be signed into Windows 7 as an Administrator.

I am.

I'm stuck using two computers. This is not good.

Can someone help?

Platinum Super Contributor

Delta, if you have not already resolved the issue: you can download the update files manually through the 'Download Product Updates' option on this webpage: http://www.act.com/support/index.cfm.  If you do not already have a signon name, you will need to create one to get to the downloads page.  Once the update file is downloaded: close Act! > double click on the downloaded file to initiate the update.

Lafe, you will need to run your Act! program as an Administrator to get the authority to download the updates.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator'.  Act! will open and will have the Admin authority necessary.  Or you can use the same process to manually download the update as described for Delta.

Greg Martin
Sage

This worked. Problem resolved.

Thank you very much.

-lafe