Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from ACT 2009 Pro to ACT 2013 Premium for Web

Upgrading from ACT 2009 Pro to ACT 2013 Premium for Web

Good morning,

I am currently upgrading our server from ACT 2009 Pro to ACT 2013 Premium for Web.  I backed up the database before uninstalling ACT and am now in the process of installing 2013.  I'm almost an hour in with only 30% of the download complete, and it's saying I've got about another 2 hours 17 minutes to go!  I'm worried that it will take this long on the client PC's as well and I have about 10 to install today.  The server has plenty of free space (343GB) so I don't think that's the issue.  Is it normal that it takes this long to install on the server, and is it usually quicker on the client machines?  This is my first upgrade so I'm feeling slightly lost.

Also, if you can tell me if I'll have to repeat the same process on the client machines (uninstall ACT 2009, install ACT 2013, upgrade database) that would be so helpful!

Silver Contributor

Re: Upgrading from ACT 2009 Pro to ACT 2013 Premium for Web

it's not normal for it to take that long. I"d be tempted to try again or try later. 

However, once the program is downloaded, you can install on the other machines accross the network.

BUT, but workstation, you would not install the web version, but the regular desktop Premium version, so that means two downloads.

If you go purely ACT for Web, there is not a full client install.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Jon,

Thank you for your reply.  I just got kicked off of my session and it made me start all over.  Now it's saying it'll take about 3.5 hours total!

What do you mean by we can install this on other machines across the network once it's downloaded?  Is there a way to copy and paste the files?  So I would do this and then install the "acess via Windows" client, correct?  I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right Smiley Happy

Silver Contributor

Yes, you can copy and paste, after you do the download, it should make a folder off of the C drive that contains the files.  

BUT, if you are installing ACT for web on the server and want the regular desktop version, that is two different programs to download.  Install ACT Premium for Windows on the workstations and ACT for Web on the server. (if you are planning on some users using ACT for web.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider