Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Upgrading from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3

I'd like to upgrade to 10.0.3 but because I am the only on-site person able to do software installations I need to assess what I am letting myself in for in terms of workload - and how I can best structure the task.

I have the following situation: 

3 Act Databases on a Windows 2003 Server, with ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.2.191

2 Clients  with the same version of ACT! on Windows XP Pro SP3 desktops who use one of the databases (1) 

4 Clients  with the same version of ACT! on Windows XP Pro SP3 desktops who use another of the databases (2).

4 Clients "                         ditto              " "  using the other database (3).

Practically the best option for me would be to upgrade the 2 clients using database (1), allow them to use the machines for a week or so and troubleshoot any queries that arise before proceeding to upgrade either of databases (2) or (3).

I think I am right in thinking this wouldn't be possible because I would also need to upgrade the version of ACT! running on the server, (even though the databases are never opened by the 'client' installed on the server)? Is this definately the case?

Any thoughts on the best way to approach this upgrade without having to allocate a working weekend to update all clients and databases at the same time most gratefully received.

Angus Claydon

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author thegus54
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Upgrading from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3

Hi Angus, Once you have updated a client, it will update any database when it is opened. So you can have a mix of ACT 10.0.2 and 10.0.3 databases located on the server. So you can update the two clients who use Database 1 as you suggest to trouble shoot. Just make sure they do not open either of the other databases. This would update the database and other users could not open them.

You don't need to update ACT on the server until the end. 

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author thegus54
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Hi Angus, Once you have updated a client, it will update any database when it is opened. So you can have a mix of ACT 10.0.2 and 10.0.3 databases located on the server. So you can update the two clients who use Database 1 as you suggest to trouble shoot. Just make sure they do not open either of the other databases. This would update the database and other users could not open them.

You don't need to update ACT on the server until the end. 

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

Thanks for that Trevor much appreciated.