Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard to SQL 2014 Standard

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrading SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard to SQL 2014 Standard

We are currently using ACT v17 and will be upgrading to v20 in January.  We run SQL Standard 2008 R2 on our ACT Server. I would like to upgrade to SQL Standard 2014.  Is there a proper sequence to do this?  Should i upgrade SQL BEFORE moving to ACT v20?  Can you simply upgrade SQL with the existing version of ACT in place without having to reinstall ACT after the SQL upgrade?  

I haven't been able to find much info about how to propery upgrade full versions of SQL server with ACT.

Thanks for any input!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tfratzke
‎12-19-2017 07:01 AM
Administrator

Re: Upgrading SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard to SQL 2014 Standard

[ Edited ]

Sorry, you're right - I misread that.

If you choose to upgrade SQL first - then install Act! - so long as Act! can detect the ACT7 instance (ie it's running and not broken) then this should be fine.

If you upgrade Act! first, then it will continue to use the 2008R2 instance. If you were to then upgrade the instance to 2014 Std - act should be able to continue to use the new instance - I don't beleive you would need to do anything.

Worst case scenario - after upgrading both instances, simply uninstall the ACT7 instance that is not working, then manually create by following the KB below:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38099

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

My experience is that you need to uninstall the SQL 2008 R2 manually then install ACT! 20 and as part of the upgrade SQL will be installed. I found that when I just installed ACT! 20 the new version of SQL was not installed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

Act will reuse existing compatible instances of SQL when installing, rather than install fresh.

This does mean that if a working SQL2008R2 ACT7 instance already exists, it will not install SQL2014.

You can manually uninstall the ACT7 instance from Programs and Features first, then upgrade Act! to make sure that the SQL2014 instance is created correctly.
Copper Contributor

Just to be clear, i want to use SQL 2014 Standard, NOT the express that that comes with ACT.  It seems unless i am not understanding the responses. 

ACT support was contacted and they suggested to upgrade SQL 2008 R2 Std to SQL 2014 std BEFORE upgrading ACT from v17 to v20.

Solution
Accepted by topic author tfratzke
‎12-19-2017 07:01 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Sorry, you're right - I misread that.

If you choose to upgrade SQL first - then install Act! - so long as Act! can detect the ACT7 instance (ie it's running and not broken) then this should be fine.

If you upgrade Act! first, then it will continue to use the 2008R2 instance. If you were to then upgrade the instance to 2014 Std - act should be able to continue to use the new instance - I don't beleive you would need to do anything.

Worst case scenario - after upgrading both instances, simply uninstall the ACT7 instance that is not working, then manually create by following the KB below:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38099

Copper Contributor

perfect!  Thank you!