Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading Act from 16.1 to 16.2, Effect on Users During Upgrade

Upgrading Act from 16.1 to 16.2, Effect on Users During Upgrade

We are looking at upgrading our Act Premium 16.1 Server installation to 16.2, we have a number of users using remote databases at a remote location, when we upgrade will we need to have these users disconnected from Act during the upgrade? Also will we have to upgrade all of the client computers and remote databases to Act 16 service pack 2 as well? Or will they be able to connect and work with Act 16.2 on the server while having the client still use 16.1, albeit temporarily. The main concern is downtime for the client users and how can we avoid having a downtime period while we try to upgrade the server. 

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading Act from 16.1 to 16.2, Effect on Users During Upgrade

I'm no Act! expert, but here are some ideas.

1. as applying the update will also update the database as well...  so...  All users in a work-group must be on the same version to access and take advantage of the new release. It is strongly recommended that you first update the server installation and database, then proceed to client workstations and remote computers. (In my case - I do this update on weekend)

2. Do not forget to back up the Database periodically and before any process (mass edition, changes in the structure of the database, update the installed version) - for more security... Additionally... Copy the ZIP file from this backup on a USB stick or an external disk

3. On the server... After updating  the installed version and the Database... You must obtain and install again the synchronization service (network and web)

I leave the following links as reference...

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37727

Good luck and Merry Christmas...

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Re: Upgrading Act from 16.1 to 16.2, Effect on Users During Upgrade

Thanks Juan Carlos, I received the answer on a live chat with an Act Rep. and if we upgrade to 16.2 our client users won't be able to sync until we upgrade their computers to Act 16.2 as well.