Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading Act 6 to Act 11 EX.

Upgrading Act 6 to Act 11 EX.

I wasn't here to do the original install, so I'm not really sure how Act works, and now I need to upgrade our 10ish Act 6 users to Act 11.  I have a few questions that I can't find answers for in the included documentation.

Currently, it appears that every user has a client installed on their machine and everyone accesses the data on a mapped drive on our server.  Is that how Act11 needs to be set up as well?  I can't find any mention of a server install or a client install.  Does this mean that everyone that wants Act11 also needs SQL installed on their machines? 

When I do get the first Act11 installed, will that "magically" update the database to 11 and subsequent installs will be ready to go?  However, doesn't this also mean that no one in Act 6 will be able to do anything until they're upgraded?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrading Act 6 to Act 11 EX.

Kayden wrote:

I wasn't here to do the original install, so I'm not really sure how Act works, and now I need to upgrade our 10ish Act 6 users to Act 11.  I have a few questions that I can't find answers for in the included documentation.

For that number of users, make sure that you get the premium version because the standard version had a hard limit of 10users.Also you will need one license for each user.

Currently, it appears that every user has a client installed on their machine and everyone accesses the data on a mapped drive on our server.  Is that how Act11 needs to be set up as well?  I can't find any mention of a server install or a client install.  Does this mean that everyone that wants Act11 also needs SQL installed on their machines? 

It's similar except that the ACT! program must be installed on the server also. That install does not require a separate license. The licenses are attached to the users, not the machine installation. The MSSQL will install on each workstation when you install the ACT! program. It can be removed after the ACT! installation but it's not a good idea. I've seen reports of ACT! running much slower when there isn't a local install of MSSQL.

When I do get the first Act11 installed, will that "magically" update the database to 11 and subsequent installs will be ready to go?  However, doesn't this also mean that no one in Act 6 will be able to do anything until they're upgraded?

No magic. ACT! 11 can be installed along with your present ACT! 6 installation. You have to open your old database to effect the conversion. A couple of points, make sure the ACT! 6 database is cleaned up before conversion and yes, everybody need to switch at the same time.

Finally, you might want to consider using an ACT! Certified Consultant to help with your install and conversion. In most cases you will find it money well spent.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hmmm.  Unfortunately, they want it done now and they want it done cheap and as a rule of thumb, anyone of a genuine certified nature isn't cheap.

I set up a test bed to do a practice run, so here's hopin. 

Kayden wrote:

Hmmm.  Unfortunately, they want it done now and they want it done cheap and as a rule of thumb, anyone of a genuine certified nature isn't cheap.

I've always heard of this as being penny wise and pound foolish (I assume that it originated in England). I wish you luck. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy_Laudenslage wrote:

It's similar except that the ACT! program must be installed on the server also. That install does not require a separate license. The licenses are attached to the users, not the machine installation. The MSSQL will install on each workstation when you install the ACT! program. It can be removed after the ACT! installation but it's not a good idea. I've seen reports of ACT! running much slower when there isn't a local install of MSSQL.

So I take it the server install needs to be done first and update the database there?  When installing the clients, do you have to authenticate with the server in some way or are the clients more or less oblivious to the server beyond the database?

Additionally, the server itself is already running SQL Server 2005.  Is there going to be some sort of issue with the included SQL Express?  Will it detect SQL Server or do I have to tell it not to install Express?  Will there be an issue with the clients having express and the server having server? 

Where the database is located is more or less transparent to the user. The path indicates the location but it's actually not necessary to have a drive mapping. ACT! installs its own instance of MSSQL.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Being a SQL database, ACT! 7 and later needs to be installed on the server, not just mapped.

To convert the database (do this on the server), see this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/53u9nv

Then, share it on the LAN as per http://tinyurl.com/4h2k3n