Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading 6.0 Database to 2009, Error enabling Sync.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrading 6.0 Database to 2009, Error enabling Sync.

Similar to: http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Prem&message.id=3020&query.id=140781#M3020

I'm getting:

Enable synchronisation failed. Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'TBL_SYNCSET_AK1'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.TBL_SYNCSET'.
PRC_SYNC_CREATE_DEVICESYNCSET: TBL_SYNCSET - FAILED TO CREATE DEVICE SYNCSET FOR USER
Sync Enable error occurred
The statement has been terminated.

When I try to enable synchronisation...

I've updated our 6.0 database, to 2009 using the inbuilt tools and default 'conversion' method.

I've run all the options in actdiag, all completing successfully and finding no problems.

Would it be worth exporting our 6.0 db to .csv and importing? Will I lose anything if I go down this route?

Help! Smiley Happy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vini
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Upgrading 6.0 Database to 2009, Error enabling Sync.

Based on the information provided, your issue appears to be associated with a previously reported issue.

Error occurs when two user name's first 15 characters match.  You can change user names by going to Tools > Manage Users.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Vini,

I would before going much further redo the conversion using the custom option to see if it is in the conversion process

Failing this have you tried doing a file save as and make a copy of the converted database before beginning to enable synchronisation.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Hi there, thanks for your time...

Ironically, i tried both of the things you mentioned straight after posting this query, I'm stuck now, with nothing left to try (that I can think of) so I'm hoping someone here is in the know.
Nickel Contributor

Firstly, exporting the ACT6 database to a CSV file and starting from scratch MAY fix the problem, but it would be the last you ever say of your Notes, History, Opportunities, Groups, etc. What you'd be left with is little more than a table of flat data.

Secondly, I said MAY fix the problem because we have not ruled out the possibility that firewall or security software may be causing this conflict. It's unlikely, but imagine the frustration you'd feel after creating a clean, new database only to encounter the same error message. Try installing ACT! on another computer, and then restore the same database to it to see if you have the same problem. Alternatively, try opening the sample ACT! database and then enabling synchronization. If it crashes then, you know the problem has nothing to do with your database.

Thirdly, after you enabled Synchronization within ACT!, did you enable "Application Sync"; in other words, did you select "Accept Incoming Syncs" from within ACT!? If yes, disable this and then try exiting the program. If it works without error, install Network Sync from the CD as an alternative method.

Fourthly, an effective way of running a simple diagnostic on a potentially corrupt database is to use ACTDiag to "detach" the database, delete the databases PAD file, and then use ACT! to open the same databases ADF file. I used to scoff at this procedure, but after having seen it fix A LOT of databases reporting a variety of errors, I employ this technique at the beginning now.

Good luck.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
kquigley, thanks for replying!

I tried restoring to another install of Act and get the same problem unfortunately, but I will certainly give option 3 and 4 a shot tomorrow when I have time!

I must explain that the 'server' in which Act 11 is installed, currently has another database running/syncing and operating absolutely fine, so I'm pretty sure the issue is with the database and not the install.

Losing the history/notes is not an option unfortunately.
Message Edited by Vini on 02-17-2009 06:31 AM
Message Edited by Vini on 02-17-2009 06:31 AM
Nickel Contributor

It sounds like you have isolated it to the database.

If my fourth suggestion does not work, I'd try going back to the ACT6 database and complete some cleanup before you upgrade.

Run some purges on OLD notes and histories that may not be relevant any more - say dates older than four years.

Then remove any sync configurations you may have with the old program.

Once that is completed, run ACTDIAG for that version of your database, and when all tests are successful, try the upgrade again.

Good luck.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

A French colleague, who took a similar path, was advised by the French Act Support to go 6.0 - 8.0 - 10.0 (and then 11.0)

I guess, this is worth a shot (6 - 8 - 11) as I'm stuck for what else to try.

Act 6.0 db maintenance was completed prior to converting to 11.0
Nickel Contributor

Firstly, never trust the French.

Secondly, I have heard this same "Sage" advice (OK, that was bad), but I've had equal luck upgrading to 2009 as I have to 2008.

I have told many people that were using Foxpro databases older than ACT6, to upgrade to ACT6 before making the SQL upgrade.

Thirdly, I was kidding about never trusting the French.

Kq\

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor

There were significant changes made at ACT! 5, namely the addition of opportunities. So my advise, ACT! 5 or 6, convert direct, ACT! 3 or 4 convert to ACT! 6 and the to ACT! 11.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I gathered that because 2009, has a Convert 3.0-6.0 database function, that 6.0 to 2009 would be ok.
>Something is causing a problem, but what... I'm stuck.