Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade from V19.1 to V19.2

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Upgrade from V19.1 to V19.2

[ Edited ]

Hi all - not super familiar with Act but a long-time admin and thrown into a situation here.

Company is a long time user of Act, currently running like so:

Windows 2016 Server VM running Remote Desktop Services - Act 19.1u7 is running here, and we have about 10 remote users logging into RD sessions and using the software. We also have about 10 local users connecting to the database via SMB share from the RD server, running 19.1u7 as well. We are perpetual license, but no subscription or support (this was all negotiated before my time, client is super cost-sensitive!).

We are upgrading all the clients to Win10 (just in time!) and I reinstalled 19.1 as I have done in the past and it won't register. Call to Act support says install 19.2 - they have provided the installer and a new serial number.

I'm concerned that I can't just upgrade the SMB clients to 19.2 without upgrading the RD/SMB server first, and there are a lot of reasons not to upgrade that server but instead to build a new one (previous admin among other things, broke the start menu and metro apps in a way I haven't been able to fix).

My plan is to build a new 2016 RD server, install Act 19.2, move the DB there, open the DB and let it do any upgrades, let remote users login, and then update the SMB clients to 19.2 and point them at the new server. Any flaws you can see here? Is this necessary? Or can the 19.1 RD/SMB server coexist with the 19.2 SMB clients? Any and all thoughts/comments/brickbats thrown my way would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author keyboardconcepts
‎01-19-2020 09:02 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Upgrade from V19.1 to V19.2

I believe you need to go to 19.2, As a general rule the .2 indicates a Service Pack which typically reflects a schema change. In this case there is an Update needed in 19.2 for the new 30 character serial number to be accommodated and I do not believe they provided one for 19.1.While I understand why customer hate going to Subscription it is the way the software world has GONE. Act would probably have gone out of business if they didn't go this route. There is a very good deal for old Act customers to move to subscription on Version 22 available now.203-605-8934

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author keyboardconcepts
‎01-19-2020 09:02 AM
Nickel Contributor

I believe you need to go to 19.2, As a general rule the .2 indicates a Service Pack which typically reflects a schema change. In this case there is an Update needed in 19.2 for the new 30 character serial number to be accommodated and I do not believe they provided one for 19.1.While I understand why customer hate going to Subscription it is the way the software world has GONE. Act would probably have gone out of business if they didn't go this route. There is a very good deal for old Act customers to move to subscription on Version 22 available now.203-605-8934

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Highlighted

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciate it. I did end up building a new server and we are migrating this week. This time we are using RemoteApp and it’s working quite nicely.