Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Updating via spreadsheet - how matching done?

Updating via spreadsheet - how matching done?

Hi, Awhile back we exported a a sub-set of our Act data into a spreadsheet and allowed one of our administrators to edit it. We imported the edited spreadsheet back and it looked like corresponding ACT records were updated. Recently we tried this again and when we import we end up with new records getting added. Since the export did not include Act's internal key I was guessing that the first attempt was finding corresponding ACT records to update based on matching contact name or something. I'm further guessing that if somebody edits the key filed (whatever that is) then there will be no match on import and a new record will be created. That being said ....can anyone tell me which field ACT uses to consider a match between ACT database and spreadsheet data? Thanks (I tried to search this forum but couldn't come up with keywords that would get me a hit so I apologize if this has been discussed) Thanks Jerrhy
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Updating via spreadsheet - how matching done?

Hello geraldg,

You have to check your duplicate checking criteria to make your import. Have a look at this KB article: How to Import Contact Data From a Text Delimited File

Hope that helps

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Super Contributor

The defaults for duplicate checking are "company", "contact" and "phone" the import wizard provides some options for what to do when a duplicate is found. Hint newest record wins in the merge/replace contest so I often include an edit date to update known duplicates in the system.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Thanks everybody - most helpful!!
Platinum Elite Contributor

The only think to remember is that this will update all the fields for each contact, not just the changed fields