Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Updating to ACT Premium v21 from v19

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Updating to ACT Premium v21 from v19

We currently run ACT Premium v19.2 with a shared database hosted on a local server.   Following applying the required licencing updates (update 5) we are now experiencing some problems.  I think it is now time to bite the bullet and update to v21, however, I have a few questions and would value other users' views.

We have applied a number of our own modifications to our v19 application -

1. some custom fields in the database
  2. some additional opportunity views
  3. Our own bespoke documents templates

If I upgrade which, if any, of these modifications, will migrate to the new version or will I need to recreate all the bespoke aspects from scratch?

Any advice or observations would be welcome.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author QED_Scientific
‎01-03-2019 06:03 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Updating to ACT Premium v21 from v19

All should convert with no problems.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author QED_Scientific
‎01-03-2019 06:03 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

All should convert with no problems.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy. This was the answer I was hoping for. Sounds like updating will be our best course of action. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Important Note, I suggest you make database  backup (File - Backup - Database - Click in Browse to put that backup in your Documents folder - Include the attachments) and at the end place a copy of that ZIP file in a USB memory or disk external for more security.

If you are the one that allows the computer or server to save the password to access the database, before starting this process, check if you remember it, otherwise I suggest you change it (I mean the password of the database administrator)

Everything is migrated, and although it is important to make a backup before starting the process on the server, all that is required is ... uninstall the previous version ... restart the server ... install the new version .. When you open the database you will receive a message to make a backup (in this case it is not necessary because you supposedly already did) then click on NO ... and the next step you will see a message to start the UPGRADE of the database.

In my case ... when I have remote databases ... the way to do the backup (First step) is by physically copying the ADF - ALF files and the complementary files folder to a USB memory or external disk (The PAD file does not need to be copied). but in order to do this manual copy I must stop the SQL Server service ACT7 and the SQL Server Browser service in the SERVICES.MSC ... after copying the files I put START back those two services

Best regards and Good luck

firma.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com