Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Updating Advanced Queries by editing the XML file

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Updating Advanced Queries by editing the XML file

I've built a series of Advanced Queries for Territories on the wrong ZIP field and wanted to simply update the strings in the Query file. I can access the file with Notepad, made the edits, save the file, return to ACT! only to see the exact same fields in the Advanced Query, as if no change had been made. 

Am I missing something and the "Actual" Query is buried inside the ACT! Database and not actually out in the Query folder?

Any thoughts woud be appreciated.

John Wilson

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSWilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Updating Advanced Queries by editing the XML file

The saved XML query file isn't the actual query. The actual advanced query is an SQL query and is created from the ACT! advanced query dialog. Editing the XML file doesn't save the updated query to the SQL Server. Editing the query in the Advanced Query dialog and resaving will update the saved SQL query.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSWilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

The saved XML query file isn't the actual query. The actual advanced query is an SQL query and is created from the ACT! advanced query dialog. Editing the XML file doesn't save the updated query to the SQL Server. Editing the query in the Advanced Query dialog and resaving will update the saved SQL query.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy, that's what I figured, but had to ask! Rebuilding all the Queries from scratch.