Do you mean 

Updated to MS Office 2016 now can't open database

Highlighted

Updated to MS Office 2016 now can't open database

I am running Act! Pro Version 21.0.295.0, Update 9

Updated from Office 11 to MS Office 16

I have a private database on my PC only 

Windows 7 Operating System

After I installed MS Office 16 I have not been able to open my database. I receive the error accessing database message.

I have tried stopping and restarting SQL with no success.

The following screen shows the 1 database (DeluxSteve) I need to open is not shared, is this my problem?

Act Problem.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Updated to MS Office 2016 now can't open database

I would use actdiag to check the status of the database as it may be in recovery, if it is then this will help with fixing it. Sometimes after a windows update I've seen it happen but a re-boot or restarting the service normally fixes it.

Database status is listed as RECOVERY_PENDING in Act! Diagnostics 

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is the actual error message you get when trying to open the database or does it simply not do anything?

Updating the Office suite will have also updated your preferences for office and might mean that when ACT goes to open it is pointed to the linked office that no longer exists. I would delete the ACT preference file and then try opening ACT again.

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024241154-How-to-rebuild-the-Act-Preferences-file

Highlighted

Thanks for the assistance. 

When I first open Act, the first shot is the screen I see.  The second shot is what happens after I try to open it.  I am on a network, but Act is not on the network.

Act Log Onto.jpgAct Error Accessing DB.jpg

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

If the ACT7 SQL instance is running OK on your machine as mentioned before check the status of the database in actdiag as it has to be ONLINE

ACTDIAG.JPG

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

The message is a standard one but odd that it comes after the log-on credentials page. I would normally expect to see this when first selecting the database.

Just to see if this is database specific or a problem with the installation what happens when you try and open the Demo 2019 database. (User name will be Chris Huffman with no password needed.)

Highlighted

I can open the Demo 2019 database with no problem, however when the database is open I checked SQL Configuration and Server Agent is still not running. Is that ok?

image.png

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

The SQL agent is not needed to run

Click the windows key, type in actdiag  then click on the application,  on the menu at the top click databases -> database details list and in the list look at what the status is. 

ACTDIAG.JPG 

Highlighted

When I run the ACTDIAG I get this:

image.png

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

the error looks as though the act7 instance of SQL is having an issue, you could try running the ResetSQL.bat file from here https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024250734  and follow the instructions to see if that fixes it.

there is also another KB where if the users are mising from the SQlL instance that act! needs it should create them for you https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024421473