Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Update to 10.0.3 fails & ACT! stops working.

Re: Update to 10.0.3 fails & ACT! stops working.

sansonj,

Not ALL of 10.0.3 update users had issues. You will always hear more of the bad then good with any product.  As the users that have a problem will speak out and request for help.

Please check your private messages. Its the yellow envelope located in the upper right corner.

Thanks.

Tuned Listener

I am hoping I am fixed- they thought that the problem came from the update and it automatically changed a section in tools ==> website administration ==> options and change the time. Easy fix. Just hoping this is it.

Wish I had found this thread before my upgrade.  Server upgrade worked fine, my workstation upgrade worked fine.  Then two of my users got hosed by it and I had to uninstall, wipe with the Act_Uninstaller.exe, reinstall from disk, upgrade again, crash the upgrade again, repeat.  Finally I logged in at Sage and downloaded the upgrade rather than just using the update from within the program.  Then I was able to get my users back running.

But then I went to the server to do some work on our layout.  Act wouldn't open (though it had just a few hours earlier...over 24 hours after the upgrade "worked") and told me to restart the Protexis service.  Which no longer existed in my services.msc.  Uninstalled on the server, reinstalled, tried to upgrade, and now all I get when I run the upgrade (ACT1003PremUSUpdate.exe) is error 0x80040705 String accessed out of bounds.

What is wrong with writing an update patch rather than making it do a full uninstall to run the update program?  What is wrong with letting it reinstall over the top of an existing "same version" install to restore a couple of lost files without having to uninstall the whole thing and reboot (which is NOT a fast process on my server!!!) before reinstalling and running the update and having it uninstall and reinstall all over again?
Platinum Elite Contributor

@gehrendreich wrote:
What is wrong with writing an update patch rather than making it do a full uninstall to run the update program?  What is wrong with letting it reinstall over the top of an existing "same version" install to restore a couple of lost files without having to uninstall the whole thing and reboot (which is NOT a fast process on my server!!!) before reinstalling and running the update and having it uninstall and reinstall all over again?
 ACT! 10 uncovered a file handle leak in Microsoft's .NET framework 2.0 that was not fully identified as the source until version 10.0.1 was released. This mainly caused trouble when ACT! 10.0.1 was installed, either as an update or a new install. Version 1.0.2 developed a means to minimize the effect of the file handle leak so the later versions cause less install problems. However, it is necessary  that the earlier version be completely uninstalled and a new install done with the later version. Because updates are cumulative, the uninstall of the old version is required with either the 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 update.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, that makes sense as to why it has to do the full uninstall.  Still doesn't help the fact that 10.0.3 has been consistently impossible to get working correctly on my machines, though.

[ Edited ]

David,

Would you mind to send me a link to download the full product? I have been facing similar problems with different installations, sometimes uninstalling & installing again (an then upgrading worked)  but a few setups simply fail to install the update.

Thanks.

Message Edited by fedroponce on 01-09-2009 06:29 PM
Highlighted

Used uninstaller, picked everything including the sql instance, looked around for all references to ACT! of any version, deleted all references except a registry reference to the licence for 10. I thought who wants to go back to the office to get the disk or fill out the form for the upteeth time and then update, if you can, from the original version? Maybe I should have deleted that reference too. Why can't these Sage people offer their customers the tools that effectely clean the program from a machine following with an installation package that works?