Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Universal does not give any results when opening database over the network

Copper Super Contributor

Universal does not give any results when opening database over the network

i have a problem with universal search when accessing the database over the network.

Search on server is working great but when i open the same database over the network on a client with AC!T Premium installed, universal search does not give any results.

client pc's are Windows 7 prof. Dutch 64 bit

Server pc is Windows 7 prof.  Dutch 64 bit

on server/pc ACT! for Web 2012 hotfix 1 is installed

on pc's 2012 hotfix 1 Premium is installed

Using a local database on that client is working normally, universal search is working great.

i have tried to create a new database on a client pc, shared that database in the nework and openend from other client but unfortunately same result all but universal search is working.

i tried client pc in selective mode but no luck

i checked logviewer but no clues there

eventviewer is not full (ID 28201)

Windows firewall is off but also tried on and added port 8112 and act.service.host but no luck.

(i tried same setup in other environment and there is USerach working fine, but cant get it to work here!)

Act for Web is also working fine, accessing the database in the network with browser without a problem. Universal search is working in ACT! for Web.

how to troubleshoot this further?

Can the Dutch operating systems be the cause?

Thanks

Otto Lanjouw
www.relact.nl
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Universal does not give any results when opening database over the network

I recommend this procedure .... Open Start in ACT! Network Computer... the space above start type services.msc... and press enter ... then check this list of services look for one that is called ACT! Service Host ... check if the status is Started ... otherwise right click on that service and click on the Start option... retest Universal Search

regards

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Otto,

When you do a Universal Search on a database hosted from another machine, it uses the ACT! Service Host service on the host machine, not the local machine. The issue could be caused by the local machine not having permissions to that service on the server or by the port used by that service (TCP port 8112) being blocked by the firewall.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greig,

thanks for reply but Windows firewall is off,  also tried with firewall  on and added port 8112 and act.service.host but no luck.

Otto Lanjouw
www.relact.nl
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

search on local machine and server is working fine so act,service .host is started on server and also on client.

search does not work when openening database over network.

port 8112 and act.service.host is added to firewall on server. also tried with firewall off but no luck.

Otto Lanjouw
www.relact.nl

Is port 8112 open and listening on the server? Is that port being used by another service? You can configure the port in the Act.Server.Host.exe.config file. Here is the block of code in the config file:
<baseAddresses>
<add baseAddress="net.tcp://localhost:8112/SearchService/" />
</baseAddresses>

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Just for others looking for this ... if not running on a domain, you need to manually add each of the Windows usernames/password to the server and give them access to the share
Copper Contributor

I ran into this in the beta, and adding Act.Server.Host.exe to the inbound exceptions on the server fixed it. Note that it's Act.Server.Host.exe, not Act.Service.Host.

I had also added inbound exceptions for the ACT7 SQL Server instance and SQL Server Browser services on the server before that. Not sure if those are required for universal search, but I couldn't even share the database without those exceptions at the time. That was on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain with Windows 7 clients.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

After adding the individual Login credentials to Windows users on the server pc, universal search finally worked.

Otto Lanjouw
www.relact.nl