Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Understanding the process of upgrading from ACT Premium 2011 SQL for Windows to Web

Understanding the process of upgrading from ACT Premium 2011 SQL for Windows to Web

Hello all,

I've been struggling to find some good answers to a few questions that I have regarding moving from Windows to Web.

For starters, we have about 50 users. About half of the users use a remote database and sync to the server. The others work off the server. We currently have ACT 2011 SQL Premium installed (we have 2012 but haven't installed it yet).

Ideally I would like to upgrade/change the server to the Web version but allow all the users to keep working like normal until we have time to migrate each one over to the web version. With that said, here are my questions ...

*** Since I'm not sure if this is an "upgrade" or just an "uninstall/reinstall", I will refer to this as an upgrade.

Here are my questions:

1. If we upgrade from Windows version to Web version, can you use a hybrid of windows and web?
Example, if I upgrade/change to Web, will my remote users still be able to sync their remote databases or does that all go away?

2.  For the upgrade do we need to uninstall everything related to ACT on the server and then reinstall? Does installing the web portion just "add" additional features?

3. Are there any issues with tagging emails in ACT while using the Web version?

4. Are there any detailed instructions on going from ACT 2011 Premium Windows to ACT 2011 Premium Web?

5. Assuming some of the questions above are "yes", is there any concern that the remote databases will not sync after the upgrade? Trying to get 25 users across the country to upgrade at the same time and then not make any changes is difficult.

Thanks all! 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Understanding the process of upgrading from ACT Premium 2011 SQL for Windows to Web

rheide wrote:

Hello all,

I've been struggling to find some good answers to a few questions that I have regarding moving from Windows to Web.

For starters, we have about 50 users. About half of the users use a remote database and sync to the server. The others work off the server. We currently have ACT 2011 SQL Premium installed (we have 2012 but haven't installed it yet).

Ideally I would like to upgrade/change the server to the Web version but allow all the users to keep working like normal until we have time to migrate each one over to the web version. With that said, here are my questions ...

*** Since I'm not sure if this is an "upgrade" or just an "uninstall/reinstall", I will refer to this as an upgrade.

It's sort of both, but mostly an uninstall/reinstall

Here are my questions:

1. If we upgrade from Windows version to Web version, can you use a hybrid of windows and web? Yes
Example, if I upgrade/change to Web, will my remote users still be able to sync their remote databases or does that all go away?

No, it won't go away, and they will be able to sync just like they do now - no changes for them.  See next comment...

2.  For the upgrade do we need to uninstall everything related to ACT on the server and then reinstall? Does installing the web portion just "add" additional features?

Yes: Unfortunately, yes.  You can't just "add" the web component.  Backup database, Uninstall ACT, reinstall with the web version (IIS needs to be installed first), and then restore your database.  The sync settings will remain intact, and the sync users will continue to work as normal.

3. Are there any issues with tagging emails in ACT while using the Web version?

No: ACT for Web (APFW) integrates with Outlook, so the email "tagging" will work just fine.

4. Are there any detailed instructions on going from ACT 2011 Premium Windows to ACT 2011 Premium Web?

Yes: Search the KB - there's an ACT for Web Administrators Guide that's helpful.

5. Assuming some of the questions above are "yes", is there any concern that the remote databases will not sync after the upgrade? Trying to get 25 users across the country to upgrade at the same time and then not make any changes is difficult.

What I do in these scenarios is let them know the sync service might be off for a while - give them a block of time.  Then, when everything is reinstalled, they can start sync-ing again - or, they can access the db via the web.

p.s. just to clarify #5 - the users do NOT have to uninstall/reinstall/upgrade *anything* - it's just on the server.

Thanks all! 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Re: Understanding the process of upgrading from ACT Premium 2011 SQL for Windows to Web

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I just want to clarify one scenario :-) Let's say that on Sunday no one is working or syncing and I uninstall ACT, and reinstall ACT with web. When Monday comes around - will ANYTHING be different for the users?

In other words, I can do that and then test/work with the web version while no one even knows that we upgraded ...and then slowly roll it out.

Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks again!!
Nickel Elite Contributor

Yep, just like that.  Even the local users that access via the network (probably a local PAD file, correct?) should not notice any difference.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Excellent. Richard - thank you again for your time and knowledge!